Connellsville rec board making plans for summer
Connellsville Recreation Board is looking ahead in 2014.
The board, which welcomed two new voting members this month, Beth Burd and James Moore, are formalizing plans for its summer sports camps which will kick off June 16.
“We are thinking of perhaps adding wrestling,” said Melissa Tzan, board president. The program may be held at the Connellsville Community Center. “We also may add an art class that would be taught on Saturdays.”
Dave Lynn of Lynn's Pub and Grill recently announced he would donate 10 percent of his total sales from the first Monday of each month for the next few months to the board to be used to host free music events in the summer. Tzan said the board would like to see other businesses in the area join Lynn in his efforts to help the community.
“We think it's great what he is doing and we are hoping that other businesses in the area would consider doing the same thing for us, maybe on a different day of the week,” Tzan said, “We are going to start contacting businesses to see if there is any interest.”
The board is also exploring the possibility of offering CPR classes.
The classes would be for those who are getting certification for the first time and for those who need re-certification.
“We are looking to possibly partnering with the Fayette EMS for the classes,” Tzan said. “We would like to be able to offer them at a less expensive rate then if you would be just taking the classes on your own.”
The board is tentatively going to host a new event this summer which will an official kick off to summer. It would be held on June 21.
“We are looking into having beer, that will be served in designated areas, and there may be food,” Tzan said. “We also have a band lined up and we are hoping to find a DJ who will play part of the day and donate his time.”
The board set Oct. 4 for the annual Tangled up in Brew.
Tzan said the group is looking for regular volunteers to help with the upcoming events.
Marilyn Forbes is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fayette County chop shop operation nets jail time, payment of restitution
- Upper Tyrone supervisor hopes to mitigate trash dumping problem
- FEMA to review Fayette’s flood plains
- Woman killed in Fayette County van-motorcycle collision
- Lynn: DL&V fire department selling tickets for Sportsmen’s Bash
- Living History: Uniontown man aboard USS San Diego duing Japan’s WWII surrender
- Fayette DA’s office will remain on death penalty case
- Purple Heart recipient from Connellsville Township soldiers on
- Circles Connellsville receives $5K from Diocese of Greensburg
- ‘Lego’ night planned at East Park
- Parade of Mustangs to kick off Connellsville’s Mum Festival