Perryopolis resident requests street light in front of his house
Former Perryopolis Councilman Christopher Massey said the lack of a street light in front of his Polander Lane home has caused a serious safety issue for him and his family.
Massey attended this week's meeting to ask council to honor its commitment to install a street light in front of his house.
“It's black in front of my house,” Massey told council members. “My house was almost broken in, and my family is scared to death. The borough promised us last year that West Penn Power Co. would install a street light in front of our house, but it never happened.”
Although street lights exist on part of Polander Lane, Massey said council never finished the project.
Massey said council members told him it would cost an estimated $1,800 for West Penn Power to dig a trench and install conduit needed to erect the street light.
Massey said his house was the first one constructed in the new development, but council has not taken steps to install a street light.
“Do you know what it's like to have someone trying to break into your house and hear your kids screaming?” Massey said. “This is about the safety of my family and the amount of money we pay in taxes to this borough every year. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I want what was promised to me.”
After Massey left the meeting, council agreed to contact West Penn to receive an estimate on how much it would cost to install the street light.
“We can definitely check into it,” Councilman Paul Black said. “If it's too much money and we can't afford to pay for this year, we can try to get it done next year.”
In other business, council:
• Agreed to hire Candis Emerick as a part-time police officer at a starting salary of $11 an hour with a six-month probationary period.
• Decided to assess fees for commercial construction permits in the borough at a cost of approximately $2,500 for a $100,000 project.
• Agreed to replace 56 faded street signs at a total cost of about $1,680.
• Authorized police Chief Roger Beadling to apply for a grant for a new police car through the USDA Rural Development. If the grant is awarded, council could receive 35 percent of the cost of the police car. The borough would then have to come up with the remaining 65 percent.
• Received a letter from PennDOT, notifying the borough the traffic impact study has been approved for construction of a Speedway gas station and convenience store along Route 51.
• Announced the Easter Bunny will be handing out treats from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday in the borough.
Cindy Ekas is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Barefoot toddlers found wandering in Uniontown Hospital lot
- Fayette County Courthouse setting for ‘Magic and Mistletoe’
- Covenant Community Ministries unites 4 churches in Western Pa.
- Center at Penn State Fayette puts students on path to success
- Connellsville gears up for big Christmas celebration
- Lost bear hunter from Westmoreland County located
- Organizations benefit from grants
- Springfield Twp. family thankful despite blaze