Connellsville rec board readies city for summer fun
Connellsville Recreation Board has many events planned for this summer in the city, including movies in the park, sports programs and a triathlon.
“The movies in the park are now all paid for,” said Jacinta Ptacek, board treasurer.
They are slated to begin on June 13 with “Monsters University.” The movies will continue every other Friday night in East Park.
The board discussed the upcoming summer sports program.
June 16 was given as a tentative start date for the six-week program.
“We'll be getting fliers together that will be passed out at all the schools,” Ptacek said.
The fliers will have information about registration for the summer sports programs.
This year, wrestling was added. Plans are in the works to add swimming.
A summer kickoff event is scheduled for June 21 in Yough Park if plans can be solidified for the day, which will serve as the official start of the season.
“We have a DJ lined up, but there will be more details to come,” Ptacek said.
Information for the upcoming triathlon, to be held on July 19, can be found on the city's website and the Connellsville Recreation Board Facebook page.
An end of summer event is tentatively planned for Sept. 20, featuring several area bands.
In other business, the board:
• Will decide on a rental agreement for the concession stand in Yough Park. Last month, the board announced it would be seeking interested parties to operate the stand during the summer months as a rental opportunity.
“We have five people interested, five possibilities, so we will be deciding soon,” Ptacek said.
• Announced a pavilion at Mountz Creek Park next to Cat's Courts is being planned. The board has been told of a possible donation toward construction of the pavilion.
“We really don't have many details of the pavilion yet, but we want to put one up,” Ptacek said.
• Announced volunteers are always welcome to help with projects and events. Anyone interested in becoming a voting member of the group may contact it via Facebook.
Marilyn Forbes is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bullskin election violations end in plea deal for 3
- Geibel Catholic in Connellsville again achieves national academic excellence
- Connellsville Redevelopment Authority has no comment on city’s letter
- Perry Township’s Layton Bridge will close for repairs
- Uniontown woman charged in robbery spree
- Angels of Mercy stepping up efforts for new Fayette County animal shelter
- Director: Connellsville Senior Center is open for business
- 7 Connellsville ‘elite’ honored
- Leisenring Presbyterians set monthly food distribution
- Classic car, bike show to be held at Connellsville tech center