Choral concerts planned in Dawson church
If you have never heard a choral concert in the beautiful sanctuary of the Philip G. Cochran Memorial United Methodist Church, now is the time. Choral groups love to perform there, where the music reverberates from 40-foot-high stone architecture with sound that is beautiful and moving. The Greater Scottdale Choral Society will perform at 7 p.m. Monday at the church. One week later on April 28, the Uniontown Chorale will perform. Each concert is approximately one hour long. There is no admission cost for either of these incredible concerts. A freewill offering will be accepted. Refreshments will be served after each concert. Please plan to attend any or all of these very special events. You will be warmly welcomed.
• The Perry-Lower Tyrone Class of 1957 reunion committee will meet at Grille 51 at 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Final plans are being made for the 57th class reunion on June 28 at Cedar Creek Park. The class will hold a pizza party at the Sons of Italy on June 27.
• The Lower Tyrone Men will hold its biannual meeting on April 26 at Miedel's Restaurant in Connellsville. The time is 9 a.m. for breakfast. This from group coordinator Ron Enos: “Some women asked me if they could attend. I thought about it and could not find one reason why women would not be welcome. This is a time for everyone who would like to join us and have a good time talking about the old days. Growing up in Lower Tyrone and Dawson was quite an experience and there are many stories still out there. I encourage everyone to bring along any old pictures or memorabilia to share with the group. There will be a pre-showing of the 2014 DVD that will be officially out in early June. It is hoped to have copies for sale at $5 and will go to a nonprofit organization at the choosing of the Lower Tyrone Men. Hope to see you there! For more information, call 877-443-1910 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.”
• Vanderbilt United Methodist Church will hold a community flea market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 9 and 10. There will be baked goods and soup and sandwiches available for purchase. You can set up a table for $10 and sell whatever you want, toys, clothing, household items, linens, etc. To reserve a table, call Lizzy Hanan at 724-529-2546 or Patti Lint at 724-529-236.
• The Ladies Auxiliary will host a flea market/bake sale at the fire hall from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 10.
• The Ladies Auxiliary to the Flatwoods Volunteer Fire Department will hold a soup and sandwich lunch on May 20 (Primary Election Day) at the Franklin Township Community Center. Lunch will be available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Local food bank distributions will be held as follows:
— East Liberty Presbyterian Church of Vanderbilt, from 10 a.m. until noon Thursday.
— Produce for the People, Fayette County Fairgrounds, from 10 a.m. until noon May 8. New registration will begin 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m.
• Dawson Volunteer Fire Co. will hold its regular monthly meeting at 7 p.m. May 5 in the fire station. All members are urged to attend.
Just a gentle reminder, Mother's Day is fast approaching, this year it is on May 11.
If you have an item for this column, give me a call at 724-529-7927, email at email@example.com or drop me a line at 276 Banning Road, Dawson, PA 15428 by 6 p.m. Tuesday so I may prepare my column for the following week.
Keep smiling and have a great week.
Beth Lynn is a Lower Tyrone Township resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Demolitions worry Connellsville health board
- South Connellsville mayor charged with transferring gun without council permission
- Major storm skips past Fay-West area
- Fayette dad’s appeal denied in 2012 conviction
- Connellsville looks for ways to raise money, cut expenses
- Senator opens Connellsville office
- Big future seen for former Fayette grocery warehouse
- Twin pizza shop owners in Connellsville rise to The Challenge
- Mystery writer to sign books at ArtWorks Connellsville
- 3 donors to match, help ministries reach campaign goal
- Fayette County relies on Westmoreland response team for pet rescues