Smithfield man shot after fleeing traffic stop
A Smithfield man was injured early Sunday morning when he was hit by gunshots fired by Uniontown police officers as his sport utility vehicle sped toward them, state police at Uniontown said.
The suspect, who was treated at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, W.Va., faces several charges when he is released from the hospital, state police said.
The incident began at about 2:15 a.m. when Uniontown officers attempted to stop the suspect on suspicion of driving under the influence in the area of Dunlap Street at Pershing Court in the city, state police said. The suspect allegedly fired at the police officers as they pursued him on Walnut Hill Road. The pursuit ended at about 2:30 a.m. in Smithfield, when two Uniontown police officers fired gunshots that hit the driver and the vehicle, state police said.
Police said the suspect drove into Firehouse Lane, a dead-end street, then turned the vehicle around and sped toward the two Uniontown officers who had got out of their cruisers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Bank at the Train Station’ to hold grand opening Saturday
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- 58-acre site for proposed Fayette County jail back on market
- $1.2M flowing to Connellsville through partnership program
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center
- Bedford woman’s works on display at Fayette law library
- New consignment store specializes in dance, formal wear
- Connellsville honors the late Ralph Wombacker
- Connellsville to honor local legend Harold Betters