Connellsville teen free on bond in pizza delivery robbery charged in mother's assault
A Connellsville teen who was charged in the robbery of a pizza delivery driver was in district court again on Thursday for allegedly assaulting his mother.
Cody Allen Darrell, 19, of 1005 Aetna St., Connellsville was out on bond when the incident occurred Thursday afternoon.
Darrell was charged by Connellsville police with three counts of simple assault, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of resisting arrest and one count of assault by a prisoner before District Judge Ronald Haggerty Jr.
Police responded to a call at the Darrell home at 12:53 p.m. Thursday. The call received was for a domestic disturbance with someone “acting crazy.”
According to an affidavit of probable cause, when police arrived at the home, Darrell's mother, Carla, raised her shirt to show officers a large abrasion to her left rib-cage area and said her son caused the injury. She told police she wanted him “gone” and to “take him,” according to the complaint.
An officer went upstairs, where he informed Cody Darrell he was under arrest. Police said Darrell retreated into a back room, pulling away from police, thrashing and refusing to comply with orders. At one point, he allegedly attempted to bite an officer on the arm.
Police said they used “sustainable force” to take Darrell into custody as his mother pleaded for him to cooperate.
While in custody, Darrell allegedly spit in the face of an officer. The affidavit stated the officer required treatment at a hospital.
On the way to the Connellsville Police Department, police said, Darrell apologized for spitting and said he was sorry for disrespecting them and giving them a hard time.
Darrell was free on $30,000 bond for his alleged involvement in the armed robbery of a pizza delivery driver in January. He was charged in the incident with two juveniles and two adults.
Haggerty on Thursday set Darrell's bond at $75,000. He was lodged him in the Fayette County Prison.
A preliminary hearing was scheduled for 1 p.m. May 1 before Haggerty.
Darrell is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing in connection with the robbery at 9:30 a.m. July 28 in Courtroom 2 of the Fayette County Courthouse before President Judge John Wagner.
Mark Hofmann is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-626-3539 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Security tightened at Fayette courthouse; Westmoreland says its procedures are sufficient
- Motorcyclist listed as fair after Fayette County crash
- Lynn: Frazier to offer kindergarten readiness classes
- Pennsylvania State VFW Post 8543 Band continues to grow
- Dunbar Twp. man held for trial in DUI fatality
- Fayette County Fair up and running
- Residents plan town-hall style meeting on Connellsville’s proposed abandoned building ordinance
- Fayette fair queen, princess are crowned
- ‘Hairspray’ coming to State Theatre in Uniontown
- Longtime Fayette County Fair volunteer Herring honored as ‘ambassador’
- Calvary United Methodist Church to hold 7th annual Gospel Sing