Electricity in Connellsville's East Park should be ready soon
The electricity in East Park is being worked on and should be ready for the summer months, Vern Ohler, foreman of the Connellsville Street Department, informed members of the Connellsville Recreation Board.
“We're getting close,” Ohler said. An additional pole may be put in the back of the amphitheater.
“Another pole would light up the area behind the stage,” Ohler said. He said he would like to have a surveillance camera added.
Board President Melissa Tzan told members plans are near completion for the city triathlon, scheduled for July 19.
“We pretty much have everything set up,” Tzan said.
She also noted the group is ready for its first Movie in the Park — “Monsters University” on June 13 at East Park, sponsored by Sepp Dental.
“The Wizard of Oz” will be shown on June 27, sponsored by South Connellsville Personal Care home.
“They will be having a costume contest that night,” Tzan said.
People will be encouraged to dress as their favorite character from the movie.
“They will be giving a prize for the best costume,” she added.
The summer sports program is set. Tzan said fliers with information are being processed and will be distributed to all the schools.
“They won't only list our activities, but other things that are going on that are kids-oriented,” Tzan said.
June 21 will be the first Summer Kick-Off event, to be held at Yough Park from 6-10 p.m. A DJ will provide entertainment.
Board volunteer and Cat's Courts liaison Steve Ritenour said the courts are almost ready for the summer months and several teams have signed up to play in leagues.
“We have eight to 10 of them already,” Ritenour said, explaining they are meeting on a regular basis to get the teams together and scheduled.
Ohler said the playground set planned for Mountz Creek Park may arrive soon. He plans to slightly re-excavate the area to allow parents visibility of their children at the playground area and ball field simultaneously.
Sponsors are needed for all the parks. Board members said they hope to have application forms for interested sponsors available soon on the city website, to allow ease of purchase and planning.
Marilyn Forbes is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Record golf ball collection drives Connellsville native
- Barn fire no obstacle to opening of farm store near Dawson
- Fayette County firefighters group elects new president
- Daily Courier columnist knew, loved Connellsville community
- Italian Festival returns to Uniontown streets
- Connellsville man accepts plea in break-ins
- Agriculture chief touts local products in Fayette County visit
- Late Frazier superintendent’s vision of new school nearly a reality
- Pilgrims ready to return to Mt. St. Macrina
- Connellsville Area High School’s marching band to play national anthem at PNC Park
- Lemont Furnace couple seeks reversal of zoning permit