Dawson, Lower Tyrone to hold regular meetings this week
Dawson Borough Council will meet at 6 tonight in the borough building.
• Lower Tyrone Township Supervisors will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Brownfield Community Center. All interested residents are invited to attend.
• Lower Tyrone Township will hold its spring cleanup on Thursday, which is regular trash pick-up day. For more information on what will and will not be picked up, call the township office at 724-529-2810.
• May 20 is primary election day. Be sure to get out to your local polling place and take advantage of the privilege to vote.
• The Ladies Auxiliary to the Flatwoods Volunteer Fire Department will hold a soup and sandwich lunch May 20 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Franklin Township Community Center, formerly the Curfew Grange.
• The Brownfield Community Center, 291 Banning Road in Lower Tyrone Township will hold a chicken and biscuit dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. May 20. Cost is $8 per person. For more information, call 724-529-7930.
• Leisenring Presbyterian Church will hold its regular monthly food bank distribution from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. May 21.
• Dawson Volunteer Fire Co. is currently selling tickets for a gun bash to be held from 1 to 5 p.m. May 31 at the Linden Hall Pavilion. Tickets are $10 each. You can pick up a ticket at Tri-Town Market and Sweet Pea's, both in Vanderbilt, The Dairy Store in Dawson or at any of the weekly events held by Dawson VFC.
• The Tri-Town Historical Society's annual Homecoming event will be held the weekend of June 6 to 8. There are lots of activities planned for this year's event, the following are just a few:
— Tri-Town Trot, a 10K run, 5K run and 5K walk, will be held 9 a.m. June 7 starting at the intersection of River Road and Griscom streets, Dawson. Course will cross the Youghiogheny River via the Dawson Bridge and extend along the Yough River Trail toward Connellsville. This event is being held as part of the annual Tri-Town Homecoming Weekend. Cost is $12 by mail (make check payable and mail to Greater Tri-Town Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 1872, Dawson, PA 15428) or $15 on race day. Registration will begin at 8 a.m. at the Cochran House, 103 Railroad St., Dawson.
— The annual Homecoming parade will begin at 1 p.m. June 7.
— The Tri-Town Homecoming Celebration 17th annual Car Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 8 on the lawn between the Dawson Post Office and the Cochran House, Railroad Street, Dawson. There will be antiques, classics, trucks, motorcycles, customs and special interest cars on view; there will be no entry fee charged. Food will be available on the big top from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; cost is $8 and children age 5 and younger eat free. You may prepay lunch (not required) by sending a check payable to Tri-Town Homecoming Celebration to Tri-Town Homecoming Car Show, c/o Roy Hess Sr., P.O. Box 10, Dawson, PA 15428. Show and lunch will be held rain or shine. For more information, call 724-529-7298.
— Another event taking place on June 7 is the Tri-Town Historical Society's Prince/Princess contest, which will begin at 11:30 a.m. All participants must arrive by 11 a.m. and be accompanied by an adult. Registration is $10 per child and must be completed and turned in by 5 p.m. at the Cochran House at 103 Railroad St., Dawson. All participants should be dressed in casual/dressy patriotic apparel for photos. Participants are required to sell non-lottery tickets which are $1 each to raise funds for the historical society. The participant who sells the most tickets will be deemed the winner. Age groups per gender are 0-3, 4-7 and 8-12. All contestants must be residents of the Tri-Town area. For more information, call 724-529-1026 or 724-984-7872.
• The Brownfield Community Center, Banning Road, Dawson has received many pieces of exercise equipment from Curves and has opened an exercise room for use by area residents. The cost is $25 per month for the first person in your household, $15 a month for the second person in your household and $10 per month for each additional person in your household. You will spend 30 seconds on each apparatus and make two rounds which take 36 minutes to complete. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to noon Mondays through Thursdays, 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays and 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. To register for these classes, call the center at 724-529-2930.
If you have an item for this column, give me a call at 724-529-7927 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop me a line at 276 Banning Road, Dawson, PA 15428 by 6 p.m. Tuesday so I may prepare my column for the following week.
Have a great week everyone.
Beth Lynn is a Lower Tyrone Township resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman threatened with knife at ATM in Uniontown
- Fayette County’s head detective named chief adult probation officer
- Mother of Fayette County killer wants to testify in closed courtroom
- Acme teen excited to experience fair as queen
- Dawson Grange Community Fair stands out by staying free to attend
- Connellsville diners can again ‘Savor the Avenue’
- Additional charges filed in Connellsville vandalism case
- Ceremony, parade mark start of 61st annual Fayette County Fair
- Making guitars a lifelong passion for Masontown area man
- Former Fayette County Democratic chairman, county commissioner Lebder dies at 94
- Connellsville’s Porter Theater to present ‘Seven Brides’