1 hurt in Fayette plane crash
A plane crash onto power lines at Mt. Pleasant and Scottdale Airport in Bullskin Township left one man with minor injuries on Saturday.
Pilot Dave Bayless was able to climb out of the gully where the plane had come to rest upside-down. He was airlifted to UPMC Presbyterian, according to emergency workers at the scene. According to a hospital representative, he was released without being treated.
The plane's owner, Arvin Daniels of Youngwood, was in the plane and was uninjured.
Daniels had hoped to take his 1964 Cessna two-seater airplane out for a spin on a sunny afternoon.
The plane didn't get up to speed while attempting to lift off from the airport's short, grass runway, Daniels said. Bayless attempted to stop the plane, but it hit a guide rail and crashed upside down into a gully, landing on some power lines about 12:30 p.m.
“We aborted takeoff, hit the guard rail and flipped,” Daniels said.
The gully is across the narrow street that leads to the airport.
“If we had been going 10 to 15 miles faster, we wouldn't even be having this conversation,” Daniels said.
He remained cheerful despite the crash, grateful that nobody was seriously hurt.
“It's just one of those things that happens,” he said. “That's why they call it an accident.”
The extent of the damage to the plane was unknown.
Officials from several power companies were called to the scene to examine the power lines.
Plans were to lift the plane from the gully onto a flatbed truck using a crane.
An official from the Federal Aviation Administration will investigate the cause of the crash.
Jacob Tierney is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6646 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Old bricks get new purpose, Connellsville gets paved street
- Wrongful death lawsuit filed against Connellsville man in 2013 accident
- Charges added against Uniontown man in case involving dog shooting
- Fayette communities come together on forming land bank
- Insurer asks judge to decide payment from fatal South Union accident
- West Side Hill’s Italian Bash celebrates 15 years of food, fellowship
- Volunteer firefighters hard to find in Mt. Pleasant, Scottdale
- Fayette County Fair nears kick-off
- Rain doesn’t dampen spirit of Connellsville triathlon
- ‘Hairspray’ coming to State Theatre in Uniontown
- Off-road driver gets prison in death of West Newton woman