Connellsville seeking help for upcoming triathlon
The Connellsville Recreation Board is gearing up for the annual triathlon in the city next weekend and is looking for volunteers and sponsors.
“Anybody who knows anyone who is interested in volunteering can come and do so,” Connellsville Mayor Greg Lincoln said at Monday's regular recreation board meeting. “There's between 40 and 50 different turns (on the city streets), and we need someone there for each one.”
Registration will begin at 9 a.m. July 19, with the race beginning at 10 a.m.
The triathlon will begin with a swim in the Youghiogheny River from Yough River Park's beach to Flatrock and back.
Participants will swim out on one side of the rope and swim back on the other side with members of New Haven Hose Company Volunteer Fire Department river rescue on both sides of the rope.
Because of heavy rain and high waters, the swimming portion of the triathlon was canceled last year; organizers decided to add a second running portion to the competition.
Organizers are hopeful that rain won't cause the same problem this year.
The second part of the triathlon involves a 10-mile bicycle ride through the city.
A 3-mile run along the Great Allegheny Passage is the third leg of the event.
Melissa Tzan, president of the Connellsville Recreation Board, said that with high school renovations complete, organizers scrapped the alternate route through the city used for last year's bike portion and the former route was restored.
Lincoln said members of the auxiliary police will conduct traffic control for the participants biking for the race.
The board said there will be unique awards for the winners of this year's event.
Tzan said they are still looking for sponsors for the event.
Volunteers are asked to arrive at the park at 8:30 a.m. Anyone interested in volunteering or being a sponsor can get more information by calling 724-628-0107.
Cost to participate is $45 for individuals and $100 for a team. All of the money raised will go back into the city parks system.
For details about the triathlon and other events with the Connellsville Recreation Board, visit its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/connellsville.recboard.
In other business:
• The board has sent out save-the-date mailers to area breweries for its annual Tangled Up in Brew event on Oct. 4. The board is in need of breweries that may be interested in sponsoring the event.
• Friday night's movie at East Park will be “Back to the Future.” Admission is free, and refreshments will be on sale. Those attending the movie, which is to start around dusk, are asked to bring a folding chair or blanket.
Mark Hofmann is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-626-3539 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Motorcyclist listed as fair after Fayette County crash
- Security tightened at Fayette courthouse; Westmoreland says its procedures are sufficient
- Charges added against Uniontown man in case involving dog shooting
- Lynn: Frazier to offer kindergarten readiness classes
- Phony physician wanted in Fayette also sought in Nebraska
- Fayette County Fair up and running
- Dunbar Twp. man held for trial in DUI fatality
- Fayette County prothonotary’s bid to block access to abuse orders in dispute
- Residents plan town-hall style meeting on Connellsville’s proposed abandoned building ordinance
- Pennsylvania State VFW Post 8543 Band continues to grow
- Connellsville theater group ready to ‘Make a Deal’