Vanderbilt church to hold vacation Bible school
Vanderbilt Church of Christ vacation Bible school, with the theme “International Spy Academy,” will be held from 6 to 8:30 tonight through Friday for children in preschool through 12th grade. Registration starts at 5:45 p.m. Closing program will be held Sunday. For more information, call the church 724-529-2078 and ask for C.J. or Greg.
• Leisenring Presbyterian Church will hold its monthly food distribution from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• On Saturday, a benefit dinner will be held from 3 to 9 p.m. at the Morrell Volunteer Fire Department, 114 Morrell Road, Connellsville, to help the family of Miranda Lynn Shroyer, 15, a local girl who recently lost a long battle with leukemia. Tickets for the event are $8 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 to 12 and $2 for children age 5 and younger. In addition to the meal, there will be a 50/50 raffle, Chinese auction and other forms of entertainment including a disc jockey. Donations of items for this event are welcome and appreciated. For information on tickets or if you would like to make a donation, call Misty Huffine at 724-963-0211. All proceeds from this event will be used for Miranda's final expenses.
• God's Clothes Closet, a mission of the Waltersburg Nazarene Church, will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the church located at 1810 Pittsburgh St. on Route 51 north of Uniontown. No income or residence requirements necessary, but please bring identification. Everyone is welcome.
• Dawson Baptist Church will host a one-day Fun Day for area children on July 23. More information will be given in the next column.
• Just three weeks and counting until the opening of the Dawson Grange Community Fair. The following is a schedule of events for this annual event:
— Aug. 4: Enter exhibits from noon to 6 p.m. Official opening will be held at 7 p.m. followed by a balloon launch at 7:15. At 7:30 p.m., there will be a hay hauling competition and a round bale rolling contest in the arena. The annual Queen and Princess contests will take place at 7:30 p.m. on the stage, followed by entertainment provided by the Steel City Quartet.
— Aug. 5: Judging of exhibits will be held from 9 a.m. to noon; no exhibitors or spectators are permitted in the building at this time. At 4:30 p.m., register for the ATV obstacle course at the announcer's booth. The course will take place 6 p.m. in the arena. At 7 p.m. there will be a decorated diaper contest on the stage, followed by karaoke by King Wolf Productions at 7:30 p.m. Also at 7:30 p.m., there will be a campfire and Dutch oven demonstration by Richard Kelley at the D&K Sales Tent.
— Aug. 6: Weigh-in for the Lawn Tractor Pull in the arena will be held at 6 p.m. Enter your apple pie at 7 p.m.; judging will take place at 7:30 (judging is closed to the public); the lawn tractor pull will be held at 7 p.m. At 8 p.m., Chris Higbee will take to the stage to entertain the crowd.
— Aug. 7: Horseshoe pitching and the weigh-in for the dead weight tractor pull will be held at 6 p.m. Event will begin at 7 p.m. in the arena, while the Mr. Legs Contest and the Mother-Daughter Look-a-Like Contest will be held on the stage. At 7:30 p.m., karaoke team Bob and Pat will provide musical entertainment on the stage.
— Aug. 8: Horseshoe pitching and the weigh-in for the 4x4 truck pull and three classes of western style (4,500, 5,500 and 6,500 pounds) at 6 p.m. The truck pull starts at 7 p.m. in the arena. High Ryder Band will take to the stage at 8 p.m. to provide the evening's musical entertainment.
— Aug. 9: Horseshoe pitching will be held at 10 a.m. Sign up for the ATV mud bog also takes place at 10 a.m. at the announcer's booth. The bog begins in the arena at 11 a.m., while the pet contest is taking place on the stage. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., exhibitors can pick up their exhibits and premium checks. At 6 p.m., the cupcake contest will be held in the grange building. At 7 p.m., the weigh-in for the western style tractor pull will be held at the announcer's booth with the event beginning at 7:30. At 8 p.m., the band Straight Up Kountry will take the stage.
All food contest items will go on the cake wheel after judging.
If you have an item for this column, give me a call at 724-529-7927, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop me a line at 276 Banning Road, Dawson, PA 15428 by 6 p.m. Tuesday so I may prepare my column for the following week.
Keep smiling and have a great week.
Beth Lynn is a Lower Tyrone Township resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Statements to stand in Connellsville High School athlete’s slaying
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail
- PennDOT schedules bridge meeting
- Dunbar Township woman, toddler critical after crash
- ‘Bank at the Train Station’ to hold grand opening Saturday
- New consignment store specializes in dance, formal wear
- 58-acre site for proposed Fayette County jail back on market
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- $1.2M flowing to Connellsville through partnership program
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center