Fun Day at Dawson Baptist Church canceled
The Dawson Baptist Church one-day Fun Day, which was to take place Wednesday, has been canceled.
• The annual Fayette County Fair will take place from July 24 until Aug. 2 at the Fayette County Fairgrounds just off of Route 119 in Dunbar Township. Please watch this newspaper for a schedule of events and activities.
• Just three weeks and counting until the opening of the Dawson Grange Community Fair. The following is a schedule of events for this annual event:
— Aug. 4: Enter exhibits from noon to 6 p.m. Official opening will be held at 7 p.m. followed by a balloon launch at 7:15. At 7:30 p.m., there will be a hay hauling competition and a round bale rolling contest in the arena. The annual Queen and Princess contests will take place at 7:30 p.m. on the stage, followed by entertainment provided by the Steel City Quartet.
— Aug. 5: Judging of exhibits will be held from 9 a.m. to noon; no exhibitors or spectators are permitted in the building at this time. At 4:30 p.m., register for the ATV obstacle course at the announcer's booth. The course will take place 6 p.m. in the arena. At 7 p.m. there will be a decorated diaper contest on the stage, followed by karaoke by King Wolf Productions at 7:30 p.m. Also at 7:30 p.m., there will be a campfire and Dutch oven demonstration by Richard Kelley at the D&K Sales Tent.
— Aug. 6: Weigh-in for the Lawn Tractor Pull in the arena will be held at 6 p.m. Enter your apple pie at 7 p.m.; judging will take place at 7:30 (judging is closed to the public); the lawn tractor pull will be held at 7 p.m. At 8 p.m., Chris Higbee will take to the stage to entertain the crowd.
— Aug. 7: Horseshoe pitching and the weigh-in for the dead weight tractor pull will be held at 6 p.m. Event will begin at 7 p.m. in the arena, while the Mr. Legs Contest and the Mother-Daughter Look-a-Like Contest will be held on the stage. At 7:30 p.m., karaoke team Bob and Pat will provide musical entertainment on the stage.
— Aug. 8: Horseshoe pitching and the weigh-in for the 4x4 truck pull and three classes of western style (4,500, 5,500 and 6,500 pounds) at 6 p.m. The truck pull starts at 7 p.m. in the arena. High Ryder Band will take to the stage at 8 p.m. to provide the evening's musical entertainment.
— Aug. 9: Horseshoe pitching will be held at 10 a.m. Sign up for the ATV mud bog also takes place at 10 a.m. at the announcer's booth. The bog begins in the arena at 11 a.m., while the pet contest is taking place on the stage. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., exhibitors can pick up their exhibits and premium checks. At 6 p.m., the cupcake contest will be held in the grange building. At 7 p.m., the weigh-in for the western style tractor pull will be held at the announcer's booth with the event beginning at 7:30. At 8 p.m., the band Straight Up Kountry will take the stage.
All food contest items will go on the cake wheel after judging.
• Tyrone Presbyterian Church will host a farmers market from 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. every Saturday from July 26 to Aug. 30. The church is located at 402 Jimtown Road, Dawson (just off of Route 819). Available for purchase will be a large selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, flowers and assorted baked goods. While out shopping for fresh fruit and veggies, you also can purchase a barbecue chicken dinner to take home. New vendors are welcome. For more information, call Matt Christner at 724-529-3131.
• Keep an eye open for a new, local vegetable stand that will open soon. Matt Christner of Christner Farms hopes to have his new business up and running by the end of the month. Christner Farms is located along Route 819 between Dawson and Scottdale.
• The Morrell Volunteer Fire Department will hold a sportsmen bash from 1 to 5:30 p.m. Aug. 9 at the Morrell Volunteer Fire Department, Route 119 (the former Richard's Chevrolet building). Tickets are $10 and includes a number of chances to win various sporting goods, plus food and beverages. For more information, call 724-812-3100 or 412-582-2868. Tickets are available at a number of area businesses or by contacting any Morrell VFD firefighter.
• Mark your calendars, food bank dates for the month of August are as follows:
— East Liberty Presbyterian Church of Vanderbilt from 10 a.m. until noon Aug. 14.
— Produce for the People at the Fayette County Fairgrounds from 10 a.m. until noon Aug. 14. Registration for new clients begins at 8:30 a.m.
— Leisenring Presbyterian Church from 8:30 until 10:30 a.m. Aug. 20.
Please remember to bring a box, basket or crate with you to carry your items home in. As always, volunteers and donations are welcome and deeply appreciated.
• The first day of school is quickly approaching. School begins in the Frazier and Connellsville area school districts on Aug. 25. Before students return to school, make sure that all their immunizations are up to date, that they have had a physical, eye and dental exams. About two weeks prior to the beginning of school, you might want to get them into a regular routine for bedtime. Let's all work together to make the 2014-15 school year a good one.
• And speaking about school, Connellsville Area Junior High School will hold student schedule pickup and orientation from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 13 for eighth-graders to pick up class schedules for the new school year. Please use the auditorium entrance. Seventh-grade student/parent orientation will be held in the junior high auditorium at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 13. Schedules will be available, along with tours of the building. Students new to the school district may register for the 2014-15 school year from 8 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 14, 15 and 18. No student will be registered unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. All new students must register before the first day of school, Aug. 25. For more information, call the school at 724-628-8910.
If you have an item for this column, give me a call at 724-529-7927 or email at email@example.com or drop me a line at 276 Banning Road, Dawson, PA 15428 by 6 p.m. Tuesday so I may prepare my column for the following week.
Keep smiling and have a great week.
Beth Lynn is a Lower Tyrone Township resident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Barefoot toddlers found wandering in Uniontown Hospital lot
- Springfield Twp. family thankful despite blaze
- Center at Penn State Fayette puts students on path to success
- Fayette County Courthouse setting for ‘Magic and Mistletoe’
- Connellsville gears up for big Christmas celebration
- Judge rules in favor of Seven Springs Mountain Resort over road closure
- Dinner-show to kick off holiday season at Albert Gallatin
- Quiz Bowl at Penn State Fayette gets students’ competitive juices flowing
- Donegal VFW to host Hunters Breakfast on opening day
- Connellsville Christmas Parade will be Dec. 5
- Small Business Saturday events set in Connellsville