Insurer asks judge to decide payment from fatal South Union accident
An insurance company wants a judge to decide how to distribute $30,000 in liability payments to the families of two teenagers who died in a vehicle accident and to two others who were injured.
In the civil action filed on Monday in Fayette County, Titan Insurance Company of Cleveland, Ohio, identifies a Rodney A. Harris as the driver of a 2009 Honda Accord that crashed into another vehicle on March 12 on Walnut Hill Road in South Union Township.
Two passengers, De'Andre “DJ” Jones, 17, and Trevor McFadden, 16, both of Uniontown, died in the crash. A third passenger, Ziare M. Ellis, was injured, along with the driver of the other vehicle, Cynthia Kowalski, according to the civil filing.
No criminal charges have been filed in the accident, but a state police investigation is ongoing, according to District Attorney Jack Heneks.
In the civil action, Titan said it insured the vehicle for the owner, Harlan Henry Haynes, 50, of Uniontown. Haynes' policy had bodily injury liability coverage of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per occurrence.
Titan wants permission to deposit $30,000 with the courts and for a judge to help determine how to distribute the money among the two people who were hurt and the families of the two teens who died, according to the civil filing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sex trafficking survivor to speak at Penn State Fayette
- Uniontown freight train derailment blamed on bad crossties
- Coroner identifies body in Yough River as Carnegie man
- Fayette County prosecutors drop charges filed by indicted ex-officer
- Uniontown man accused of punching state trooper
- Connellsville middle schoolers ‘Adopt a Grandparent’
- Fayette County Commissioner Zimmerlink lawsuit near $30K settlement
- Mill Run woman sentenced in daughter’s death
- Tenebrae returns for Connellsville’s St. Rita Roman Catholic Church
- Incumbent coroner, underling seek Dem nod in race for Fayette coroner
- Police receive more reports of alligator in Monongahela River