Old bricks get new purpose, Connellsville gets paved street
East Morton Avenue in Connellsville was paved this week, thanks to help from a local business.
But first, the old paving bricks were removed before blacktop was poured at the roadway between South Pittsburgh and Race streets.
The paving bricks, however, will be reused.
Work is being completed at the former P&LE Railroad station, at the corner of West Crawford Avenue and North Seventh Street. The property is owned by Somerset Trust. The bricks will be used in the project at the West Side site.
The East Morton Avenue paving project was done at no cost to the city, courtesy of Somerset Trust, in exchange for the paving bricks.
Hopefully the bricks will be laid soon at the West Side site, said Joseph Klocek, assistant vice president and a branch manager for Somerset Trust.
“We're cleaning the ones from Morton, now.”
Klocek said the paving bricks are a good find for the site restoration. They will match the bricks already saved, replacing those that were damaged and are unusable.
The paving bricks are no longer made.
Connellsville Mayor Greg Lincoln was happy with the exchange.
“The city worked out a swap of the city's bricks on Morton Avenue for a new paved road,” said Lincoln. “It's a wonderful way to repurpose materials in the city.”
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Barn fire no obstacle to opening of farm store near Dawson
- Record golf ball collection drives Connellsville native
- Fayette County firefighters group elects new president
- Daily Courier columnist knew, loved Connellsville community
- 2 dead in Bullskin crash
- Fire heavily damages Connellsville home
- Pair of suspects sought in South Union robbery
- Henry: Connellsville historical society to host corn roast
- Henry: Last week for Presbyterian church’s dumplings
- Connellsville man accepts plea in break-ins
- Late Frazier superintendent’s vision of new school nearly a reality