Sister enters plea bargain in Fayette mugging case
One of the Fayette County sisters charged in connection with the mugging of an elderly woman who later died could spend up to five years in prison under terms of a plea bargain.
Jenna Boyd, 27, and her sister, Brittany Boyd, 26, both of North Union, were charged in the March 22, 2013, mugging in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
The victim, Mary Yourchik, broke her hip in three places when Brittany Boyd took her purse and shoved her to the pavement, police said.
Yourchik never walked again without assistance and was unable to resume living on her own, her family said. She suffered a stroke less than three months after the mugging and died on Nov. 25 in Mt. Macrina Manor in Uniontown.
Brittany Boyd on May 6 pleaded guilty to robbery, aggravated assault and other charges. Judge Steve Leakinen sentenced her to nine to 20 years in prison.
Jenna Boyd was awaiting trial on a different set of charges. Police said Jenna Boyd was in the car when her sister grabbed Yourchik's purse before the two sped off with their young children in the backseat.
A trial was averted on Monday when Jenna Boyd entered into a plea bargain before President Judge John F. Wagner Jr., according to Michelle Kelley, assistant district attorney.
Kelley said Boyd pleaded guilty to three counts of child endangerment and two counts of unsworn falsification. In exchange, a theft charge was dropped, and she is to be sentenced to one to five years in prison.
Jenna Boyd is free on bond, pending her sentencing next week before Wagner.
Liz Zemba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-601-2166 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville Recreation Board looks for more choices at Movies at East Park
- ‘Hairspray Jr.’ comes to Connellsville
- Big things happening for FRIENDS of Carnegie Free Library
- Fayette County man pleads guilty to attempted homicide for stabbing during argument
- Mt. Pleasant council picks police chief
- Masontown man Packroni identifies defendant Harris as attacker
- St. Rita of Cascia Roman Catholic Church marks centennial in Connellsville
- Connellsville robbery suspect has bail modified
- Western Pa. nonprofits roll dice on casino company grants
- Fayette County motorist accused of firing shots when good Samaritans stop at crash scene
- Dawson church fundraiser to aid those in need