Science is focus of Connellsville library's survivor challenge
Survival games at the Carnegie Free Library in Connellsville have gone on since June 27. The final day of the challenge took place five weeks later in the basement of the library, according to Eileen Beveridge, teen librarian.
The competition for teenagers this summer was the brainchild of Anthony Domina, 13, a student at Connellsville Area Junior High School.
“We started with 12 people (teenagers),” Domina said. “Now we are down to three over the five weeks.”
The games have been based on science — Domina's favorite subject and something in which he has proven to be very good. He admits to being first in the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science competition.
Domina began work on “Teen Library Survivor” in January.
Different types of games were played on a Friday.
During one week, they played app games. Another week, they had puzzles. Another week brought a zombie competition. During another, they played a forensic science game in which those involved tried to figure out who did it.
For the final competition, the afternoon began with pizza and soft drinks, supplied by Anthony's mother, Stacey Domina. Afterward, the games began.
The last three survivors played a game similar to one older people might know quite well.
“What's ‘Family Feud?' ” asked Shawn Rackner.
The final winner was Austin Beveridge,13, of Connellsville.
Beveridge received a backpack with a book and a water bottle, autographed by Jack Coleman from The Ice Mine.
Domina volunteers extra time at the library. Beveridge said he has put in 10 hours and 38 minutes volunteering for projects not related to the competition.
Karl Polacek is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-626-3538.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Barefoot toddlers found wandering in Uniontown Hospital lot
- Fayette County Courthouse setting for ‘Magic and Mistletoe’
- Center at Penn State Fayette puts students on path to success
- Quiz Bowl at Penn State Fayette gets students’ competitive juices flowing
- Dinner-show to kick off holiday season at Albert Gallatin
- Springfield Twp. family thankful despite blaze
- Connellsville Christmas Parade will be Dec. 5
- Donegal VFW to host Hunters Breakfast on opening day
- Connellsville gears up for big Christmas celebration
- $7K donated to help Bullskin Township boys with rare disease
- Judge rules in favor of Seven Springs Mountain Resort over road closure