Atkins' teachers, students to hold Summer Jam
Teachers and students of Atkins Music Center will hold Summer Jam 2014 on Saturday at Murphy Hall in Connellsville.
The Jams began in the summer of 2013 as a way for the students of Atkins to have the opportunity to demonstrate what they have learned and to share their talents with anyone who enjoys a variety of music being sung and played on an assortment of instruments.
Atkins Music Center owner Denise Friel sees the Jams as a way for the students, who are dedicated to practicing and learning, to then showcase their talents for family, friends and the community.
The Atkins teachers who will participate with their students are Gene McFadden, Stephen Gallo, Sandy Millward, Jane Staranko, Amber Trump and Dave Quairiere.
“The students will perform solo and with instructors,” Friel said. “Students have also been encouraged to perform their own original material.
“We will again have Britney Mongell and her father Ron Mongell doing a banjo and guitar duet with vocals. Also, Emma Evans and her grandfather Darrell Evans will present a violin duet,” she added.
Several students from the Atkins studios of Millward, Staranko and Trump will play piano solos.
Ben Millward, husband of Sandy, from Backwards Productions, will be doing sound and lending a hand with the students' performances.
“The Summer and Winter Jams last year were successful and fun for everyone,” McFadden said. “Denise has provided a unique opportunity for the Atkins Music Center students and the community to share the experience of music. I hope we'll again see a nice crowd of folks enjoying this afternoon of free entertainment and we'll be looking forward to additional Jams in the future.”
“Music will range from classical piano, religious numbers, original pieces, and good old rock and roll,” Friel said.
She invites everyone to attend this event from noon-3 p.m. There is no admission charge. Cookies and soft drinks will be served. There is plenty of free parking.
For details, visit the Atkins Music Center Facebook page or call 724-628-2450.
Nancy Henry is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Saltlick officials search for proof of post-Prohibition ordinance that made township ‘dry’
- Connellsville native returns to State Theatre to direct family favorite ‘Mary Poppins’
- Aaron’s Building site review approved by Connellsville Planning Commission
- Bentleyville babysitter denies injuring tots
- Eagle Scout’s project at Connellsville cemetery unearths family history
- Fire destroys Upper Tyrone residence
- Nurse who dropped baby at Uniontown Hospital won’t lose job
- Connellsville pavilion, horseshoes to preserve woman’s memory
- Grief support given for loss of pets
- Connellsville-area municipalities getting less return from gas impact fees
- Historical society aims to preserve Connellsville connections to conflicts