Connellsville's Wednesday Walk to feature railroads with WWII connections
The Connellsville Wednesday Walk features Connellsville Railroads: Past, Present and Future with World War II connections. Everyone will meet at Yough River Park at 6:30 p.m. For details, call 724-963-2804 or www.stepstoahealthierfayettecounty.org/
After the walk, stop in at El Canelo Mexican Restaurant or the Connellsville Canteen for a healthy bite to eat.
• The Connellsville Recreation Board will sponsor a pep rally at East Park on Thursday evening to kick off the football season and all school sports. Following the pep rally, the movie “The Blind Side” will be shown. The movie is free. Bring a blanket. Refreshments will be sold.
• Last call for apple dumpling orders. Call 724-628-3704 for yours; $3.50 each. They are available for pickup at the Connellsville Presbyterian Church from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 6-7 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday.
• Saturday morning, you can join the Lions' “Bike With Bud's” ride on the trail, going any distance, at a leisurely pace, and finding tokens, which can be taken to Bud Murphy's Sports Bar and Restaurant for prizes. A picnic will be held there. Even those who weren't able to participate in the bike ride that morning can have lunch for $7. Proceeds benefit the Yough River Trail Council and Connellsville Lions. More information is available at www.youghrivertrail.com.
• Afterward, you can walk right over and enjoy the Atkins Music Center students and teachers as they perform in Murphy Hall. There is no admission fee. It will be a nice showcase of talent from noon-3 p.m.
• The CAHS Mighty Falcon Marching Band will hold a bake sale from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at Martin's on Saturday, so try to stop by to support them. They have a very busy schedule coming up. They are getting ready to perform at Falcon football games, but will be at Kennywood on Sunday and then perform the national anthem on Aug. 31 at the Pirates 1:35 p.m. game at PNC Park.
The band members successfully sold 560 tickets to the game. Their contact person at the Pirates predicts a sellout, so if you want to go, get your ticket now. CAHS JROTC will participate as will four chorus students who will sing during the seventh inning stretch.
On Sept. 6, the band will be in the Mustang Parade at the Mum Festival, and on Sept. 14 will hold a mini golf tournament at Greenwood Family Fun Center. Everyone is encouraged to support the Mighty Falcon Marching Band at all of these events.
• The 5th Annual Falcon Foundation night-time golf outing is Saturday at Pleasant Valley Country Club. You can still sign up to play by calling Dr. John Ellis at 724-628-8832. Proceeds will benefit students of the Connellsville Area School District. Cost is $65 per person and includes golf, cart, one glow-in the-dark ball and a buffet dinner served at 7:30 p.m. The event is a four-player team scramble. Registration begins at 7:30 p.m. followed by a shotgun start at 9 p.m.
• The band at the Lions Square Summer Concert on Sunday will be the Wally Gingers Orchestra, from 7-9 p.m. The big summer finale on Aug. 31 will start at 4:30 p.m. with The Del Sols, followed by Harold Betters from 7-9 p.m. Plan to bring some friends and spend the late afternoon and evening. There will be plenty of refreshments for sale. As always the concerts are presented free of charge.
• The Care and Share Boutique at Connellsville Area Community Ministries is having a Stuff-A-Bag Sale, which will run from Aug. 25-30. Customers are given a bag and can stuff it full for only $1!
• Don't forget to vote each day for Lauren Harvey to be featured on an upcoming issue of Runners World, a national magazine. Vote on Facebook; deadline is Aug. 26. Good luck, Lauren!
• If you want to sign up as a vendor for the Downtown Connellsville Mum Festival or enter the Mustang Parade sponsored by Davies Ford that morning, go to www.downtownconnellsville.org and click on the calendar of events.
• The Connellsville Armory at 701 Petersburg Road will hold a Red Cross Blood Drive from 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 13. Giving blood helps save lives. Please call 1-800-RED-CROSS to schedule your appointment.
• This will be a wonderful event. On Aug. 27, West Overton Museums is celebrating artist Guglielmo Botter, who was born and raised in Italy. An artist and architect, he is known in Italy and Pittsburgh for his ink drawings. He started using the ink pen at age 6 and continues today.
When in Pittsburgh, Botter draws “charming corners of the city.” His work has been featured in many venues and publications and will be on display at West Overton on this evening.
Light hors d'oeuvres and beverages will be served. There will be live entertainment provided by Gene McFadden. A $5 donation benefits West Overton Village & Museums.
• The Kristin Leigh Markitell show at the Connellsville Canteen was terrific, as was the food. Other upcoming programs at the Canteen include:
— Sept. 9, Jeff Monahan of 72nd Street Films, talking about his upcoming films and where 72nd Street Films is headed. The program is free and light refreshments will be served.
— Oct. 18, dinner show, featuring a night with Katelyn Ritenour and Tyler Hough, which includes a buffet by Millers Catering. Cost is $20 per person.
The events are partly sponsored by Three Rivers Community Foundation and Fayette County Cultural Trust. Call 724-320-6392 for reservations.
Mark your calendars for these dates: Aug. 20, Connellsville Wednesday Walk; Aug. 21, East Park Pep Rally and “The Blind Side” free movie; Aug. 23 Bike with Bud's, Atkins Summer Jam, Falcon Foundation night golf and CAHS Band bake sale at Martin's; Aug. 24, Lions Square band Wally Gingers Orchestra and CAHS Band performs at Kennywood; Aug. 31, Lions Square finale with The Del Sols followed by Harold Betters and CAHS Band, JROTC and four chorus members appear at Pirates game; Sept. 6, Downtown Connellsville Mum Festival and Mustang Parade; Sept. 9, Jeff Monahan at Connellsville Canteen; Sept. 11, Davies Ford charity golf outing; Sept. 13, Red Cross Blood Drive at Armory; Sept. 14, CAHS Band mini golf tournament; Sept. 20, Gayle Music Fest; each Saturday 8 a.m.-noon, Farmers Market; yoga 9 a.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays at Yough River Park, weather permitting.
If you have a local upcoming event that you would like mentioned in this column, email it well in advance so I can include it at email@example.com
Nancy Henry is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gaming proceeds fund emergency units
- wintry wrath on the Horizon
- South Connellsville Mayor Casini arraigned in gun case
- Uniontown woman goes on trial as driver in fatal wreck
- Supervisor testifies in trial of woman charged in deadly North Union crash
- Connellsville business owner’s loss of pet prompts fund for animal respirators
- Fayette County zoning board considers proposed resort in Dunbar Township
- Connellsville finances discussed
- Measles warning issued to Connellsville
- Big future seen for former Fayette grocery warehouse
- Mystery writer to sign books at ArtWorks Connellsville