Amish man, 18, asphyxiates in 65-foot silo in Indiana County
An Amish man died on Thursday when he was overcome by a lack of oxygen as he worked alongside his younger brother inside a 65-foot silo in Indiana County.
Indiana Coroner Michael Baker said Wollie Schlabach Jr., 18, began experiencing distress as he and his 14-year-old brother were leveling the contents of a silo at the farm on Sinktown Road in South Mahoning.
By the time rescue crews reached Schlabach, they could not revive him, Baker said. His brother survived.
Baker ruled that Schlabach died of asphyxia due to deprivation of oxygen in a confined space and has ruled the death an accident. No autopsy is planned and toxicology tests are pending, he said.
Plumville Volunteer Fire Department safety officer Dennis Rolls said the company got the call at 8:22 a.m. He said someone outside the silo heard the cries for help and made the 911 call.
Paramedics used a ladder to get an oxygen tank to the surviving boy to help him until a ladder truck from Indiana arrived to enable rescue workers to get him to safety and reach his brother.
The owners of the farm, Dave and Mike Kimmel, could not be reached for comment.
According to their uncle, Randy Kimmel, the silo had been filled with hay silage the day before.
"When it's blown in, it forms a peak," Kimmel said. "The Amish boys were trying to level it off and one was not able to get enough air."
He said that normally there are fans running to help circulate the air because of the gas that rises from the silage.
According to a 2011 article posted on the Penn State University website, the gases produced by silage include oxides of nitrogen. The levels of those gases are at their highest during the first day or two after the silo has been filled and that "very high concentrations of gas will cause immediate distress, which will result in a person collapsing and dying within minutes."
The article said "people should stay out of the silo for three weeks after it is filled and always should ventilate the silo with the silo blower for at least 20 minutes prior to entry."
"The owners are pretty broken up about what happened," Kimmel said.
The Bauer-Bly Funeral Home in Dayton is assisting the Schlabach family with funeral preparations.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Clymer woman dies in 2-vehicle crash in Homer City
- Keystone Opportunity tax abatements spur business growth in Indiana County
- Art showcases provide added appeal for area businesses
- Programs keep young workers on ‘TRACK’ for local employment
- Burrell supervisors accept dividend check, set cleanup dates
- Penguins Foundation gifts Kindles to Homer-Center Elementary
- White Township woman charged with attempted homicide for role in alleged beating of son, 6
- Blairsville authority to proceed with housing infrastructure work, scale back condos
- Former Indiana County teacher pleads to lesser charges in student rape case
- Growing Blairsville firm honored for investment in work force