Blairsville undefeated in Senior Legion play
Blairsville's Kovacik Insurance Senior Legion team advanced to a 5-0 season record this week after defeating Punxsutawney 2-1 on Wednesday and Homer City 12 - 3 on Monday.
Blairsville's Frank Wolford threw a complete game one-hitter on Wednesday.
Kovacik earlier dropped Indiana Legion, 15-5, and Young Township, 6-3, in respective home stands on May 31 and on Sunday.
Reed Ratkus was the winning pitcher last Thursday while Indiana Legion's Jay Roberto was charged with the loss.
Homer Woody smacked a home run for Indiana while teammate Jordan Hudzicki and Blairsville's Adam Magalich had doubles.
Magalich, who plays at first base, went 3 for 4 on offense, with 6 RBIs, while Blairsville left fielder Anthony Faulk also went 3 for 4, with 2 RBIs.
Bobby Thompson was credited with the win against Young Township with support from Bobby Gaston, who pitched two innings, and Wolford, who took the mound for one inning. Combined, the Blairsville pitchers struck out 16 batters, with Gaston and Wolford together striking out 8 of the last 9 batters in the game.
For Blairsville's offensive effort on Sunday, Scott Thompson hit a home run and Faulk, Magalich, Wolford and Gaston all had doubles.
The losing pitcher was Jake Gambella.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PA Hero Walk marches on despite Blairsville rainout
- Indiana County man sentenced in killing described as ‘possible outcome’ of drug trade
- United School Board finalizes 1.7-mill tax increase
- Blairsville-Saltsburg School District looks to fill music, buildings and grounds positions
- Program offers adaptive bikes to children with disabilities
- WalkWorks program offers routes to better health in three Indiana County locales
- Indiana County property reassessment notices to be issued
- Burrell supervisors to seek DEP input on fuel odor
- Homer-Center hikes tax rate, school lunch prices
- Cupp files to quash recount in Indiana County auditor race
- Blairsville-Saltsburg School Board deadlocks on budget