Marijuana scent leads to heroin arrest in Indiana County
Published: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013
A scent of marijuana at a hotel along Route 22 led state police to arrest an Ohio man.
Dwight Romesz Echols, 28, of Cleveland Heights was arraigned Wednesday morning by District Judge Guy Haberl on charges of possession with intent to deliver, criminal use of a communication facility, possession of a small amount of marijuana and disorderly conduct.
Police said they heard a toilet flushing when they knocked on the door of Room 227 at the Comfort Inn. Echols was found inside with $310 and 560 stamp bags — individual doses of heroin — at 1:20 p.m. Tuesday. Police said it is believed Echols was flushing loose heroin.
Echols remains in the Indiana County Prison on $50,000 bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled on Wednesday.
Police said he has a “very extensive” criminal history in Ohio involving drugs.
- Pens GM Shero: ‘Whole idea’ was in-playoffs improvement
- Starkey: Pirates’ Huntington never looked so good
- Robinson: Steelers rookie Wheaton could be impact receiver
- Ribbon, wristband solemn reminders for Penguins coach Bylsma
- Veteran Clark envisions finishing career as a member of Steelers
- Key acquisitions have Penguins primed for run to Stanley Cup
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Marijuana supporters rally at the Point
- Pipeline project creates unease in Westmoreland County
- Police seek suspect in Derry Twp. exposure incident
- Locke, Pirates power past Brewers at Miller Park
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.