Marijuana scent leads to heroin arrest in Indiana County
A scent of marijuana at a hotel along Route 22 led state police to arrest an Ohio man.
Dwight Romesz Echols, 28, of Cleveland Heights was arraigned Wednesday morning by District Judge Guy Haberl on charges of possession with intent to deliver, criminal use of a communication facility, possession of a small amount of marijuana and disorderly conduct.
Police said they heard a toilet flushing when they knocked on the door of Room 227 at the Comfort Inn. Echols was found inside with $310 and 560 stamp bags — individual doses of heroin — at 1:20 p.m. Tuesday. Police said it is believed Echols was flushing loose heroin.
Echols remains in the Indiana County Prison on $50,000 bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled on Wednesday.
Police said he has a “very extensive” criminal history in Ohio involving drugs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Riding, charity drive growing cycle club chapter in Westmoreland, Indiana
- Community-owned grocery store considered for Blairsville
- Indiana woman’s savings savvy a boon for family, friends, charities
- Indiana County seeks grants to help with upgrades at Conemaugh manufacturing plant
- Homer-Center scales back proposed school tax hike to 1.3 mills
- Grant Township in Indiana County to pursue home rule charter
- All-star student combo tunes up for Indiana jazz and blues festival