IUP student charged with rape
A 19-year-old Indiana University of Pennsylvania student is facing rape and related charges after an alleged incident Friday in Indiana borough.
Taylor Michael Groff, 19, of Conestoga, was charged with rape, aggravated assault and indecent aggravated by borough police after they were called to S. 7th Street about 11:30 p.m. Friday, according to a news release.
The alleged victim and several witnesses were identified and interviewed, police said. The alleged victim was taken to Indiana Regional Medical Center, according to the release.
The Tribune-Review does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault. Police did not indicate if the alleged victim was an IUP student.
IUP spokeswoman Michelle Fryling confirmed that Groff is a communications media student at the university.
“Any student that is charged in the criminal courts outside the university does face the university judicial process,” she said.
Fryling said she could not elaborate further on that process, except to say that dependant upon the situation, students' punishments can be anything from participation in education programs to expulsion.
Groff was arraigned Monday before Indiana District Justice Guy Haberl and was released on $50,000 unsecured bond.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled before Haberl on April 4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clymer woman dies in 2-vehicle crash in Homer City
- Programs keep young workers on ‘TRACK’ for local employment
- Growing Blairsville firm honored for investment in work force
- Keystone Opportunity tax abatements spur business growth in Indiana County
- Art showcases provide added appeal for area businesses
- Burrell supervisors accept dividend check, set cleanup dates
- Penguins Foundation gifts Kindles to Homer-Center Elementary
- Blairsville Underground Railroad group highlights local history, adapts former church
- No major problems amid increased police presence at IUPatty’s Day celebration
- Blairsville authority to proceed with housing infrastructure work, scale back condos
- Former Indiana County teacher pleads to lesser charges in student rape case