90-year old Indiana County man allegedly punches trooper
A 90-year-old Indiana County man allegedly punched a state trooper who was trying to check on the welfare of an elderly woman in his home, state police said.
Russell Stiffler of 7889 Donelson Road, East Wheatfield allegedly threatened to shoot any state trooper or medical personnel who came to his home, police said.
State police received a call about 5:45 p.m. Friday to check on the welfare of an elderly woman who lives at the home.
When police arrived, Stiffler met them outside but refused to obey their requests to show his hands, come off the porch or get on the ground, police said.
As troopers approached, Stiffler allegedly punched Trooper Scott Mackanick in order to resist arrest, police said.
Mackanick was not injured, police said.
Stiffler was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, resisting arrest and harassment.
The incident occurred the day after his 90th birthday.
Stiffler was arraigned by Homer City District Judge Susanne Steffee. He is lodged in the Indiana County Jail after failing to post $25,000 bond, according to court records.
Stiffler faces a preliminary hearing on the charges on March 25.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Indiana County’s Grant Township will fight wastewater disposal well
- State bond release sought for Burrell Township mine
- Alumni help mark former Saltsburg school’s addition to historic register
- Homer-Center OKs special education director, STEM courses
- High price puts Saltsburg athletic storage building on hold
- Blairsville approves variances for Liberty Street condos
- Indiana County township ‘afraid for the water’ fights waste well