90-year old Indiana County man allegedly punches trooper
Published: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, March 19, 2013
A 90-year-old Indiana County man allegedly punched a state trooper who was trying to check on the welfare of an elderly woman in his home, state police said.
Russell Stiffler of 7889 Donelson Road, East Wheatfield allegedly threatened to shoot any state trooper or medical personnel who came to his home, police said.
State police received a call about 5:45 p.m. Friday to check on the welfare of an elderly woman who lives at the home.
When police arrived, Stiffler met them outside but refused to obey their requests to show his hands, come off the porch or get on the ground, police said.
As troopers approached, Stiffler allegedly punched Trooper Scott Mackanick in order to resist arrest, police said.
Mackanick was not injured, police said.
Stiffler was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, resisting arrest and harassment.
The incident occurred the day after his 90th birthday.
Stiffler was arraigned by Homer City District Judge Susanne Steffee. He is lodged in the Indiana County Jail after failing to post $25,000 bond, according to court records.
Stiffler faces a preliminary hearing on the charges on March 25.
- Kovacevic: The smartest man in hockey
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Uniontown man killed in shooting
- Organization helps cancer-stricken mother see her kids attend prom
- Indiana County man charged in assault on toddler
- Variety of techniques can help fishermen creel walleyes
- Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
- Behind Crosby’s hat trick, Penguins sneak past Senators
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Error in 9th allows Pirates to rally past Astros
- Pittsburgh officer’s off-duty heroics give toddler chance to live
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.