90-year old Indiana County man allegedly punches trooper
A 90-year-old Indiana County man allegedly punched a state trooper who was trying to check on the welfare of an elderly woman in his home, state police said.
Russell Stiffler of 7889 Donelson Road, East Wheatfield allegedly threatened to shoot any state trooper or medical personnel who came to his home, police said.
State police received a call about 5:45 p.m. Friday to check on the welfare of an elderly woman who lives at the home.
When police arrived, Stiffler met them outside but refused to obey their requests to show his hands, come off the porch or get on the ground, police said.
As troopers approached, Stiffler allegedly punched Trooper Scott Mackanick in order to resist arrest, police said.
Mackanick was not injured, police said.
Stiffler was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, resisting arrest and harassment.
The incident occurred the day after his 90th birthday.
Stiffler was arraigned by Homer City District Judge Susanne Steffee. He is lodged in the Indiana County Jail after failing to post $25,000 bond, according to court records.
Stiffler faces a preliminary hearing on the charges on March 25.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell board expects to begin 2016 with $450K, avoid tax increase
- Indiana County tentative budget holds line on taxes
- Literacy outreach among goals for Blairsville-Saltsburg schools in 2017-20 plan
- Homer-Center School District looks to borrow funds if state impasse continues
- Wreaths to decorate final resting places of Indiana County veterans
- Housing in former parsonage among Indiana County efforts to help homeless veterans
- Two recent graduates set to join Homer-Center School Board
- Award honors Indiana woman for devotion to in-law with Alzheimer’s
- Highridge authority seeks revisions to water tap-in ordinance
- Indiana County investment broker accused of stealing $1.2M from 22 clients