90-year old Indiana County man allegedly punches trooper
A 90-year-old Indiana County man allegedly punched a state trooper who was trying to check on the welfare of an elderly woman in his home, state police said.
Russell Stiffler of 7889 Donelson Road, East Wheatfield allegedly threatened to shoot any state trooper or medical personnel who came to his home, police said.
State police received a call about 5:45 p.m. Friday to check on the welfare of an elderly woman who lives at the home.
When police arrived, Stiffler met them outside but refused to obey their requests to show his hands, come off the porch or get on the ground, police said.
As troopers approached, Stiffler allegedly punched Trooper Scott Mackanick in order to resist arrest, police said.
Mackanick was not injured, police said.
Stiffler was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, resisting arrest and harassment.
The incident occurred the day after his 90th birthday.
Stiffler was arraigned by Homer City District Judge Susanne Steffee. He is lodged in the Indiana County Jail after failing to post $25,000 bond, according to court records.
Stiffler faces a preliminary hearing on the charges on March 25.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Indiana County infant hit by bullet will be blind in one eye
- Woman charged with theft of ring from store at Indiana Mall
- Student gets probation in ‘IUPatty’s’ celebration
- Indiana Regional Medical Center marks centennial with book, campus addition
- Burrell Township supervisors hear road complaints
- Grant will help Burrell Township Library upgrade computers
- Challenger Learning Center gets $500K boost from state
- Trail connection among priorities as state officials view Blairsville projects
- Indiana County man gets life sentence for murder