Spilled gas results in student's arrest
A student at Indiana University of Pennsylvania is in jail after police investigated spilled gasoline in a borough apartment building.
Paul Joseph Indrihovic II, of 2147 Forest Grove, Coraopolis, was arrested Friday after Indiana Borough police and the Indiana Fire Association responded to gasoline in the Essex House Apartments at 1302 Oakland Ave.
About 11:20 p.m. Thursday, police found puddles of gasoline in two of the building's three stairwells, prompting firefighters to evacuate the building and search each room, according to a news release.
Firefighters detected a gasoline odor coming from the kitchen sink area of apartment 108, where Indrihovic lives, police said.
A search warrant led police to evidence that connected Indrihovic to the gasoline, according to the news release. Police did not give more details about the evidence.
IUP spokeswoman Michelle Fryling confirmed that Indrihovic is a student at the university, which may take disciplinary action.
Indrihovic was charged with risking catastrophe, possessing explosives, reckless endangerment and criminal mischief.
He was arraigned Friday before Indiana District Justice Guy Haberl and remains in Indiana County Jail, unable to post $100,000 bond.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled before Haberl at 9:45 a.m. Thursday.
Records from county emergency management show that borough firefighters were summoned to the complex three times this week, including the incident that led to Indrihovic's arrest.
At 11:57 p.m. Monday, firefighters were called to a fire in the laundry room that destroyed two dryers, according to 911 records.
At 3:34 a.m. Thursday, firefighters were summoned to a vehicle fire in the parking lot that severely damaged a car, the records disclose.
Stacey Federoff is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6660 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Indiana County infant hit by bullet will be blind in one eye
- Student gets probation in ‘IUPatty’s’ celebration
- Woman charged with theft of ring from store at Indiana Mall
- Hunter’s role to get scrutiny in shooting of Indiana County infant
- Kindergarten position added at Blairsville Elementary School
- Trail connection among priorities as state officials view Blairsville projects
- Homer-Center School District adds aides to support union contract
- Money stolen from senior living facility residents