Suspected Indiana County pot-grower jailed
By Mary Pickels
Published: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
An Indiana County man was charged with numerous drug violations after a police investigation led to the discovery of a marijuana growing operation in Green Township.
Donald Edward Fridley, 39, of Commodore is charged with manufacture with intent to deliver, possession of marijuana, use and possession of drug paraphernalia, and sale, possession and use of fireworks without a permit.
State police filed the charges against Fridley in late June with Homer City District Judge Susanne V. Steffee.
In an affidavit of probable cause, Trooper John McCombie stated that on June 28, he met with a woman in Green Township regarding a marijuana growing operation.
The woman said Fridley had approximately 30 marijuana plants growing outside of his home. Some of the plants were around a turkey coop near the residence, the woman said, and more were located in a field behind the home.
The woman said Fridley had drug paraphernalia, marijuana seeds, scales and firearms, and that he sold marijuana for extra money.
McCombie said he drove by Fridley's residence that day and noticed “green, leafy plants which appeared to look like marijuana” near the turkey coop.
Police obtained a search warrant from Steffee and returned to Fridley's residence on June 29. Seized was a small amount of marijuana, a marijuana grinder, four glass marijuana pipes, a .38-caliber semi-automatic pistol, a suspected crack pipe, hand and digital scales, rolling papers and plastic bags, a glass bong used for smoking marijuana, a single-shot shotgun, a .30-08 rifle, marijuana seeds, seven suspected marijuana plants, and M-100 and other fireworks.
Fridley was charged and admitted that all drugs and paraphernalia belonged to him, police said.
Scheduled for a preliminary hearing before Steffee on Sept. 4, Fridley remained in the Indiana County Jail on Monday in lieu of $7,500 bond.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Orpik on IR; Dumoulin recalled
- Kovacevic: Enough of these Steelers already
- Aliquippa’s Henry picks West Virginia over Pitt
- Penguins players are not out looking for fights
- Steelers WR Brown says ‘I thought I had it clean’ after wild, near-miss finish
- Late Thanksgiving diminishes jingle of Salvation Army kettles
- Former Pirate Parker does not make Hall of Fame
- Keno, lottery privatization could be back before Pennsylvania Senate
- Robinson: $500K proposal for August Wilson Center brought threats, vitriol
- Greensburg man dies after multi-vehicle crash on Route 22
- Gettysburg journey finally complete for Honor Guard members