Elderly woman dies in head-on crash in Indiana County
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Sept. 6, 2013, 3:06 a.m.
An elderly Butler County woman was killed Thursday afternoon when the car she was operating collided head-on with an oncoming pickup truck on Route 286 in Indiana County.
Chief Deputy Coroner Jerry L. Overman Jr. identified the victim as 80-year-old Martha Jane Sybert of Renfrew.
According to Overman, Sybert was eastbound on Route 286 near Abby Road in White, when for an unknown reason her Dodge Neon crossed the centerline, striking a Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck driven by John P. Stark Jr., 48, of Latrobe.
Both drivers were entrapped in their vehicles and extricated by firefighters, who closed the highway in both directions.
Sybert, who sustained multiple blunt-force trauma of the head and chest, was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:50 p.m. by Overman. She was wearing a seat belt.
Stark, who suffered a moderate injury, according to state police at Indiana, was transported by Citizens' Ambulance Service to Indiana Regional Medical Center along with Sybert's son, Matthew Sybert, 55, of Butler, who was a front-seat passenger in her vehicle and sustained a moderate injury.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Indiana County paving contractor could be fined in fatal accident
- Suspect jailed in Indiana kidnap attempt
- Indiana County chase ends with car in pond
- Blairsville seeks applicants for new meter attendant post
- Orthodox traditions observed locally for Easter season
- Indiana County pays fee to hang communications cable on utility poles
- United board to consider high school project bids
- Extortion trial set for Saltsburg man accused of killing gun shop owner
- Local woman hits trail in One Run for Boston relay