Elderly woman dies in head-on crash in Indiana County
An elderly Butler County woman was killed Thursday afternoon when the car she was operating collided head-on with an oncoming pickup truck on Route 286 in Indiana County.
Chief Deputy Coroner Jerry L. Overman Jr. identified the victim as 80-year-old Martha Jane Sybert of Renfrew.
According to Overman, Sybert was eastbound on Route 286 near Abby Road in White, when for an unknown reason her Dodge Neon crossed the centerline, striking a Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck driven by John P. Stark Jr., 48, of Latrobe.
Both drivers were entrapped in their vehicles and extricated by firefighters, who closed the highway in both directions.
Sybert, who sustained multiple blunt-force trauma of the head and chest, was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:50 p.m. by Overman. She was wearing a seat belt.
Stark, who suffered a moderate injury, according to state police at Indiana, was transported by Citizens' Ambulance Service to Indiana Regional Medical Center along with Sybert's son, Matthew Sybert, 55, of Butler, who was a front-seat passenger in her vehicle and sustained a moderate injury.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Saltsburg Elementary School eyed for disaster preparedness site
- Postal Service plans to cut office hours at Brush Valley, Lucernemines
- St. Andrew’s Village campus is getting household makeover
- Increase in state funding still below local schools’ expectations
- Baby girl dies when run over by pickup truck in Indiana County
- Hearing waived for man charged in Black Lick Township overdose death
- Burrell park board seeks donations for annual picnic
- Tours, tastings will be part of experience next month at Homer City distillery
- Variety of habitats provides plenty of viewing opportunities for local birders
- Path mapped out to boost Saltsburg trail tourism
- IRMC lifestyle change program helps women address health risks