Police investigate Saltsburg fire
A state police fire marshal is investigating an early Monday fire at an abandoned Indiana County home.
Saltsburg Fire Chief John Dice said there was no operating heat or electricity at the Wood Street residence. The fire may have started in the basement, he said.
Firefighters responded to the home at 2:50 a.m. Monday and found heavy smoke and a “fully-involved first floor,” Dice said. There was significant interior damage to the story-and-a-half structure, but the brick exterior is sound, he said.
No one was inside and there were no injuries.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Hearing waived for man charged in Black Lick Township overdose death
- Increase in state funding still below local schools’ expectations
- Burrell park board seeks donations for annual picnic
- Former Saltsburg Elementary School eyed for disaster preparedness site
- Baby girl dies when run over by pickup truck in Indiana County
- Postal Service plans to cut office hours at Brush Valley, Lucernemines
- St. Andrew’s Village campus is getting household makeover
- Variety of habitats provides plenty of viewing opportunities for local birders
- Path mapped out to boost Saltsburg trail tourism
- Tours, tastings will be part of experience next month at Homer City distillery
- Infant suffers head injuries in Indiana County crash