Suspect jailed in Indiana kidnap attempt
A man was jailed in Indiana for allegedly attempting to kidnap a woman early Saturday morning while she was walking in downtown Indiana, police said.
The suspect, Catalino Hernandez Vijil, was placed in the Indiana County Jail Saturday, pending arraignment on charges associated with the alleged kidnapping attempt at 4:10 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of Philadelphia Street and South Carpenter Avenue, Indiana police said.
The suspect, whose age was not listed in a news release, allegedly grabbed the unidentified woman around the neck and tried to pull her into a running vehicle on South Carpenter Avenue. She was able to scream and break free of the man, who jumped into the rear of a car and fled south on South Carpenter Avenue, police said.
Police said they were able to identify the suspect, whose address was not known, from video images taken by a camera at a business and by several witnesses.
Indiana police said the state police assisted with the investigation.
An Indiana police spokesman said Sunday that additional information was not available. A spokesman at the Indiana County Jail could not be reached to comment Sunday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blairsville woman freezes fluid moments for creative shots
- Indiana Area High School Eco Club takes action for the environment
- Homer-Center School District looks to save $167K through refinancing
- World traveler to share experiences in Indiana County Parks programs
- Blairsville-Saltsburg School Board debates early Friday dismissal
- Homer City man charged in fatal crash
- Woman reports sex assault to state police at Indiana
- Blairsville Middle/High School window replacement approved