Buffington mother faces child endangerment charges
A Buffington mother of two young children was jailed on Friday because her 4-year-old son allegedly left his home one morning and walked across a state highway to see his grandfather while his mother was asleep, state police at Indiana said.
Melissa Cassatt, 26, was placed in the Indiana County Jail in connection with the incident on Route 403 in Buffington, state police said. Cassatt was awaiting arraignment on charges of endangering the welfare of children and recklessly endangering another person, police said. The officer on duty at the Indiana County Jail could not be reached for comment on Saturday.
Police said the 4-year-old and a 2-year-old boy were left unsupervised several times while the mother slept. Authorities did not say when the boy walked across Route 403 to see his grandfather. The 2-year-old was found in the residence on Friday with a soiled diaper while his mother was asleep, police said.
Neither child was in need of medical attention, police said, but Indiana County Children and Youth Services was notified, and the children will be in their grandparents' care while the father is at work, police said.
Authorities said the children's grandfather notified police about the matter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Indiana County’s Grant Township will fight wastewater disposal well
- High price puts Saltsburg athletic storage building on hold
- Homer-Center OKs special education director, STEM courses
- Alumni help mark former Saltsburg school’s addition to historic register
- Indiana County township ‘afraid for the water’ fights waste well
- State bond release sought for Burrell Township mine