County approves contract for West Wheatfield water extension
The Indiana County Board of Commissioners took action Aug. 13 on two water line extension projects and agreed to seek funding for improvements to affordable housing units in Blairsville and Burrell Township.
The commissioners awarded a materials contract for Highridge Water Authority's Penrose Hollow and Gamble Road water service extension project in West Wheatfield Township to L/B Water Service, Inc. The low bid for 7,000 linear feet of PVC pipe and miscellaneous fittings was $64,995. Highridge employees will install the line, which will provide public water service to 15 households. The project is being funded from Indiana County's 2012 Community Development Block Grant entitlement funds.
The commissioners also approved a change order with Kukurin Contracting, Inc. reducing the cost for the Central Indiana County Water Authority's water line extension project on Center Township's Cherry Run and Ginter roads by $1,574 after balancing quantities of materials actually installed. The revised project total is $261,052. The project is being funded with Center Township's 2010, 2011 and 2012 block grants.
The county will apply for $210,000 in Pennsylvania Housing Affordability and Rehabilitation Enhancement funds from the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency. The funds would be used for major rehabilitation activities at 13 rental properties in Blairsville and Burrell Township owned and managed by the Indiana County Community Action Program and rented to households with incomes at 50 percent of the county's median income or less.
The commissioners approved a contract agreement with KU Resources, Inc. of Duquesne for the Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment for properties at 600 and 620 N. Fifth Ave. in White Township as part of development for the Homeless Veterans Housing Project. The $2,550 contract will be paid using 2011 block grant funds.
The access road project at the Joseph Land Development (119 Business Park) in Center Township will be moving forward after commissioners approved a contract agreement with Francis J. Palo, Inc. of Clarion. The contract totals $496,119 for construction of the access road off Luciusboro Road and is being funded through the Appalachian Regional Commission Access Road program and Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program.
Commissioners approved three change orders related to the Diamond Drug RemedyRepack project at the County Commerce Park, which will result in a net decrease of $8,305 for changes to the plumbing, electrical and general contracts.
Commissioners voted to accept grant funds from the Pennsylvania Bureau of Aviation for the Indiana County/Jimmy Stewart Airport's obstruction removal project. The project is being bankrolled by $186,000 in federal funding, a state share of $10,333 and a local match of $10,333 paid by the airport authority.
The commissioners also recognized the Civil Air Patrol with a proclamation, noting that the U.S. Congress earlier this year approved awarding the volunteer organization a Congressional Gold Medal, the highest civilian honor, for its service.
In other business, the commissioners:
• Approved the purchase of a 2014 Jeep Cherokee for the county's Children and Youth Department from Tri-Star Motors. With state-contracted pricing and the trade of a 2004 Dodge Caravan, the Jeep will cost $22,752 from the department's budget.
• Appointed Jerry Gillette of Indiana to the Indiana County Municipal Services Authority for a term expiring in January, 2020.
• Passed a resolution to allow the addition of Venango County to the Region 13 emergency management task force
• Approved the sale of two surplus vehicles and equipment to the high bidders, bringing in a total of $6,019.01.
• Approved submitting Liquid Fuels funding authorization to PennDOT District 10 for Indiana Borough and East Wheatfield Township. Indiana Borough's share of $104,146.73 will be used for its Streetscape Segment C project while East Wheatfield's $28,330 will be used for paving streets in the village of Charles.
Greg Reinbold is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-459-6100, ext. 2913 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blairsville PNC Bank branch to close in March
- Saltsburg council finalizes 2015 budget, 5-mill tax hike
- Blairsville boosts property tax by 2 mills
- Homer City native’s handmade cards bring new dimension to holiday cards