Smith: Magazine recognizes My Favorite Sweet Shoppe owner
Crafton resident Nina Midgley was one of several local women named to last month's WHIRL Magazine's Class of 2016 Top Women Business Owners.
She owns My Favorite Sweet Shoppe in Collier Town Square, 1597 Washington Pike. The store opened in 2012 as The Sweet Shoppe and Nut House, a franchise out of Phoenix. After working there six months, Midgley bought the business from its previous owners and ultimately changed the store's name as she increased its product line.
Prior to being in retail, she got her degree in mass communications from St. Mary's College in Indiana and worked for a global public relations firm in Chicago, then returned to the Pittsburgh area to work in marketing.
The store carries gourmet caramel apples, fudge, specialty chocolates, old-fashioned soda, gelato, bagged snacks and hand-dipped homemade chocolates.
Any product can be made into a gift basket. She also creates custom chocolates and favors for graduations, baby showers, weddings and birthdays or corporate giving. Always experimenting with new sweets, many product ideas come from her team members or from something needed by a customer.
She holds private parties and birthday parties for people of all ages, usually on Sunday afternoons or with special arrangements.
Hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday. A chocolate “bootcamp” is being held throughout the summer, beginning on June 21. Visit www.myfavoritesweetshoppe.com or call 412-564-5416 for more information.
Other local business news
• Sports Haven Bowling, 143 Carol Ave., Bridgeville, is under new management. Call 412-257-2695 for information on joining a league in this smoke-free establishment.
• Woodville House Kitchen & Bath Design is the new name of the former Premier Kitchen & Bath, located in Collier Town Square, 1597 Washington Pike. Offering kitchen and bath furniture and cabinetry, it also has countertops, decorative hardware and custom 3D kitchen and bath designs. Also offered are specialty designs for wine cellars, home office spaces, closets, entertainment rooms and more. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 412-276-5650 for a design appointment or visit www.woodvillehousekitchens.com for more information.
• The former Lash Spa Studio at 2107 Greentree Road, Green Tree, is now known as DekaLash. With locations also in Wexford, McMurray and Shadyside, the facility specializes in eyelash extensions, brow-shaping, brow-waxing and brow-coloring. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. Call 724-949-0833 for an appointment or visit www.dekalash.com for more information.
Other new local businesses as reported in recent state filings include:
• Safe Escrow Arizona, 200 Fleet St., Green Tree (escrow services)
• Bar Real Estate Holdings, 2034 Swallow Hill Road, Scott (purchase and management of residential rental property)
Charlotte Smith is a freelance writer. Reach her at 724-693-9441 or email@example.com.