TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Point Park does itself proud

Justin Merriman | Tribune-Review - An ornate turn-of-the-century banking hall that is being used as Point Park University's library will someday become an entrance to the university's Pittsburgh Playhouse, once the Playhouse is relocated to Downtown.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em> Justin Merriman  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>An ornate turn-of-the-century banking hall that is being used as Point Park University's library will someday become an entrance to the university's Pittsburgh Playhouse, once the Playhouse is relocated to Downtown.
Justin Merriman | Tribune-Review - This white marble staircase, dating from about 1902, will likely be part of the lobby for the Playhouse. It was designed by eminent Pittsburgh architect Frederick J. Osterling, who also designed the Union Trust Building and the Arrott Building, among other notable Downtown landmarks.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em> Justin Merriman  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>This white marble staircase, dating from about 1902, will likely be part of the lobby for the Playhouse. It was designed by eminent Pittsburgh architect Frederick J. Osterling, who also designed the Union Trust Building and the Arrott Building, among other notable Downtown landmarks.
Justin Merriman | Tribune-Review - The Wood Street entrance to University Center once led to the huge banking hall of the Colonial Trust Co. It's now the Point Park University library.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em> Justin Merriman  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>The Wood Street entrance to University Center once led to the huge banking hall of the Colonial Trust Co. It's now the Point Park University library.
Justin Merriman | Tribune-Review - The Bank Tower, at Wood Street and Fourth Avenue, left, and The Carlye condominiums, right, once housed competing banks and set the tone for massive bank architecture in Pittsburgh's financial district. The Bank Tower, from 1902, was the Peoples Savings Bank, and The Carlyle, built in 1906, was the headquarters for Union National Bank.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em> Justin Merriman  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>The Bank Tower, at Wood Street and Fourth Avenue, left, and The Carlye condominiums, right, once housed competing banks and set the tone for massive bank architecture in Pittsburgh's financial district. The Bank Tower, from 1902, was the Peoples Savings Bank, and The Carlyle, built in 1906, was the headquarters for Union National Bank.
Justin Merriman | Tribune-Review - Turn-of-the-century architects encrusted buildings in Pittsburgh's financial district with lots of details. This is a view of today's Bank Tower, once the Peoples Savings Bank, designed by local architects Alden & Harlow in 1902.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em> Justin Merriman  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>Turn-of-the-century architects encrusted buildings in Pittsburgh's financial district with lots of details. This is a view of today's Bank Tower, once the Peoples Savings Bank, designed by local architects Alden & Harlow in 1902.
Justin Merriman | Tribune-Review - Four Corinthian columns frame what was once an imposing entrance from Forbes Avenue to the Colonial Trust Co. banking hall, now University Center. The T-shaped banking hall could also be entered from Fourth Avenue and from Wood Street. This entrance, and the two others, will be preserved when the new Pittsburgh Playhouse is built adjacent to it.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em> Justin Merriman  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>Four Corinthian columns frame what was once an imposing entrance from Forbes Avenue to the Colonial Trust Co. banking hall, now University Center. The T-shaped banking hall could also be entered from Fourth Avenue and from Wood Street. This entrance, and the two others, will be preserved when the new Pittsburgh Playhouse is built adjacent to it.
' Justin Merriman | Tribune-Review - Point Park University has retained and enhanced this modest four-story commercial building at 101 Wood Street and now uses it as its admissions center. It has one of the few cast iron fronts remaining in Downtown Pittsburgh. Students have taken to calling it 'the Green building.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>' Justin Merriman  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>Point Park University has retained and enhanced this modest four-story commercial building at 101 Wood Street and now uses it as its admissions center. It has one of the few cast iron fronts remaining in Downtown Pittsburgh. Students have taken to calling it 'the Green building.

Daily Photo Galleries

Sunday, April 29, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
 

Much has been done, and there's still much to do, but Point Park University is acquitting itself well in its ambition to transform its corner of Downtown.

Though small -- the private university has just 4,000 students -- it is enlivening and preserving parts of six city blocks that include some of Downtown's most remarkable turn-of-the-century architecture.

This neighborhood was once the financial center of Pittsburgh. It was the city's equivalent of Wall Street -- and it comprises two score or more old banks, office towers and commercial buildings dating to the era when Pittsburgh's banks held more money than those in any city other than New York.

Point Park calls its $244 million, 10-year project the "Academic Village," stressing the idea that it's expanding in discrete pieces in a way that fits in well with the existing fabric of the city. It has spread out along the neighborhood's streets mostly by imaginatively re-purposing, remodeling and, in some cases, restoring architecturally rich older buildings.

The school's classrooms, labs, studios, dormitories, gymnasium and offices occupy 18 owned or leased buildings Downtown, but only two of those buildings are entirely new.

This is a vertical, almost "anti-campus" approach that is typical of urban universities in Europe, but almost never seen in America. It avoids the land clearing, city-busting "superblock" style that some urban schools wanting to expand have tried -- and the dislocations and controversy that usually accompany that. The rancorous political and neighborhood wrangling that has enmeshed New York University as it tries to expand in Manhattan's Greenwich Village is just the most recent example.

In relative terms, Point Park's expansion plans are probably no less ambitious than NYU's. It's just that they better respect what is already there.

The school's neighborhood includes four blocks along Wood Street, much of two blocks along the Boulevard of the Allies, and parts of Forbes, Fourth and Third avenues.

In addition to the grand old 22-story former Sherwyn Hotel -- now called Lawrence Hall -- re-purposed buildings include one of the handful of Downtown commercial buildings with an intact cast-iron front. It's on Wood Street, painted green and so, quite naturally, has come to be known as "The Green Building." It contains admissions offices. Another little noted gem in the collection of buildings is the West Penn Building at the end of Wood Street -- a striking 1906, 12-story "Chicago-style" office tower with lush terra-cotta decoration across its facade. It is now the university's business school.

The most impressive piece of the Academic Village expansion will occur, though, when Point Park brings the Pittsburgh Playhouse, the school's performing arts center, to Downtown from Oakland. The entirely new Playhouse, planned to contain three theaters and a sound stage, will stretch from Fourth to Forbes, directly behind a cluster of low rise buildings known in recent years as the Bank Center mall, but now renamed University Center.

The heart of University Center is the former Colonial Trust Co., designed by eminent Pittsburgh architect Frederick J. Osterling over a period of years starting in 1902. As you enter from Wood Street, you encounter a breathtaking T-shaped former banking hall of white, dark-veined marble with a vast stained-glass ceiling three stories above. This is currently the university library, but, eventually, the library will move, and this will become an elegant entrance lobby for the new Playhouse behind.

The university is still working out timing and funding for the Playhouse project, so it hasn't set firm dates for a move.

So far, the recent addition to the Academic Village most obvious to passersby is a newly opened pocket park at Wood Street and the Boulevard of the Allies. It replaces a parking lot and what had once been a gas station with a new street-level arcade, a water feature and a glass elevator tower that enliven what had been the bland sides of two university buildings. It's been so popular that the university has already doubled the number of tables and chairs there.

A new restaurant will soon open on this plaza -- and there's already a Starbucks on the other side of the street.

Othe plans include remodeling and adding to the former YMCA building on the Boulevard of the Allies to create a convocation center.

In partnership with the city, the university is in the middle of an 18-month project to install new granite curbs and brown, exposed aggregate sidewalks with granite borders along Wood Street. Then, at the end of Wood, a new "portal" to the Monongahela River will be built in partnership with Riverlife Pittsburgh using landscaping and a covered walkway to access the new park and trail alongside the parking on the Mon Wharf.

Complementing the university's efforts, the two largest new buildings to be built Downtown will be close by -- the new 33-story PNC Financial headquarters building on Wood between Fifth and Forbes and Millcraft Industries' new Gardens at Market Square, a 17-story hotel, office and retail complex on Forbes.

All of this change pretty much guarantees a lively mix of students, shoppers, office workers, Playhouse-goers and visitors to this once central, then once neglected, part of our city. The vibrancy of cities is never assured, and Pittsburgh can be grateful to Point Park for its role in this change.

John Conti is a former news reporter who has written extensively over the years about architecture, planning and historic preservation issues.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
  2. Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
  3. Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
  4. Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
  5. Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
  6. HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
  7. Nation sick of Obama blunders, Perry tells state Republicans
  8. Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
  9. Wilkinsburg auto dealer scammed at least 30 people, police say
  10. Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets
  11. Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals