Friedens man charged with DUI in crash
A 22-year-old Somerset County man was allegedly drunk when he crashed his pickup into a passenger car, severely injuring a Scottdale woman, police said.
Daniel A. Paugh, 22, of 646 Listie Road, Friedens, was charged Monday with aggravated assault while driving under the influence of alcohol, driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving and driving on the wrong side of the road in the accident in Somerset Borough.
Borough police said tests taken after the 2 a.m. wreck on Oct. 20 showed Paugh's blood-alcohol level was 0.25 percent, more than three times the legal limit for operating a vehicle in Pennsylvania.
According to an affidavit of probable cause filed before District Judge Kenneth Johnson, Paugh was driving his Ford F-150 pickup east in the 1000 block of West Main Street when the truck collided head-on with a 2004 Volkswagen driven by Daris A. Ohler, 33, of Dawson.
Ohler's passenger, Jessica A. Grace, 29, of Scottdale, was critically injured and flown by medical helicopter to Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center in Johnstown, according to police.
Police said they discovered three empty beer cans and an empty beer bottle in the cab of Paugh's truck. Paugh and Ohler required treatment at the hospital for injuries.
Paugh admitted to police at the scene of the accident that it was his fault, according to the affidavit.
A preliminary hearing will be scheduled before Johnson.
Paul Peirce is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-850-2860 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Centerville Threshermen’s Jubilee marks 62nd year
- Somerset house fire ruled arson
- SCI-Laurel Highlands inmate found dead
- Blind Somerset man burned in apartment fire able to warn neighbors
- Somerset man faces multiple charges in stabbing
- Hazmat volunteers praised for dedication at Seven Springs conference
- Somerset police suspect robber is targeting seniors
- Somerset County man killed in 1-car crash