Visits expected to resume at Somerset prison
Visits are expected to resume Saturday at the state prison near Somerset after two days of lockdown.
SCI-Somerset was searched Thursday and Friday after two assaults on corrections officers in the last two weeks, officials said.
The prison's Special Emergency Response Team searched the facility for drugs and weapons, according to wire reports.
Spokeswoman Heide Sroka said the search was routine and prisoners were confined to their cells with meals delivered.
She gave no other details of the assaults.
The medium-security prison in Somerset Township has 2,300 inmates and about 585 employees.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Carnegie Mellon grad’s tweak to tweets turns 7
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Upper Tyrone supervisor hopes to mitigate trash dumping problem
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- States clear way for startups to use crowdfunding
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade