12 businesses hit with bad checks from Somerset man
A Somerset County man is accused by state police of writing more than $6,700 worth of bad checks to purchase items such as tires and tools that he later sold.
George William Smith, 34, of Garrett allegedly used bad checks to purchase items at 12 businesses throughout the county in February and March.
Victims are listed on a state police news release as:
• Leonard's Saw Shop in Addison Township, where a chain saw and glasses were purchased for $912.61 and sold to a third party.
• Yachere Feed and Rockwood Hardware, both in Rockwood, where a television and feed were purchased for $1,043.55. The television was sold for cash.
• Kenny Ross Chevrolet in Somerset Township, where tires were purchased for $716.32, then sold.
• George and Bob's Computer Service in Somerset Township, where a computer and case were purchased for $450.49 and later sold.
• McCarthy Tire & Automotive in Somerset Borough, where two truck tires were purchased for $881.52. The tires were sold.
• Dumbauld's Tire Service Inc. in Somerset Township, where tires were purchased for $317.76 and later sold.
• Stoystown Auto Wreckers in Quemahoning Township. Two bad checks totaling $408.10 allegedly were passed. Police did not say what was purchased.
• Summit Country Market in Summit Township, where groceries were purchased for $188.39.
• Hoover Outfitting and Supply in Black Townshi,p where merchandise was purchased for $402.77.
• Kneppco Equipment in Brothersvalley Township, where tires were purchased for $474.88. The tires were sold.
• West Central Equipment in Somerset Township, where a chains saw was purchased for $935.95 and later was sold.
Multiple counts of bad checks and theft by deception have been filed. In cases filed before District Judge Kenneth Johnson, a preliminary hearing is scheduled for Aug. 27.
No action has been scheduled in cases filed before District Judges Sandra Stevanus and Susan Mankamyer.
Renatta Signorini is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-837-5374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.