Rockwood couple jailed with assaulting toddler
A Rockwood couple were charged Monday with reckless endangerment and simple assault after bruises were discovered on their 18-month-old son's buttocks.
State police in Somerset said Chad R. Beals, 37, and his wife, Melanie J., 25, were arraigned Monday before Somerset District Judge Kenneth Johnson and jailed after failing to post $5,000 bond.
Police said they were notified last week by county youth services after the bruises, including a handprint, were discovered by “concerned adults.” The bruises were confirmed by a Somerset Hospital pediatric care physician, police said.
Trooper Todd Sherle wrote in an affidavit of probable cause that when the couple saw on social media that “the concerned adults” were discussing the child's bruises, Melanie Beals denied any abuse had occurred.
Sherle reported that she replied, “I didn't abuse my child. LOL.”
Despite the abuse investigation, Sherle said both parents appeared unconcerned “and chose to continue with their party plans (Saturday) and head to Pittsburgh to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.”
Sherle said the couple claimed the child was disciplined March 11 because he tried to get out of his crib and again the next morning because he was trying to climb onto a counter.
They are scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing March 27.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- Alvarez’s walk-off single lifts Pirates over Padres
- Alle-Kiski police try to get drivers to cool it
- New Kensington to consider bake shop
- Crude oil tumble signals low gasoline prices this fall
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- New Kensington residents furious over road conditions
- Connellsville kicks off farmers market
- Torn thumb ligament puts Pirates’ Harrison on 15-day disabled list
- Crazy Mocha owner likes comfort, says shrewd decisions foster growth
- Players continue traditional pickup game