Man who shot pregnant girlfriend faces second homicide count
A second homicide charge was filed Friday against a Somerset County man who is accused of fatally shooting his nine-months pregnant girlfriend, a week after his daughter died.
Denver Roy Alan Blough, 25, now faces two counts each of homicide, aggravated assault and simple assault in the May 31 death of Caressa Kovalcik, 23, and the June 20 death of Abrianna Lyric Kovalcik, 20 days old.
Kovalcik was resuscitated for nearly three hours while Abrianna was delivered through an emergency cesarean section in Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center. Kovalcik was shot in the head and died in an operating room, officials said.
Abrianna was taken to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh where she died 20 days later.
The couple's 11-month-old son was at their Windber apartment at the time of the shooting, police said.
Blough told police that he and Kovalcik were arguing and he broke down his 20-gauge shotgun into two pieces, according to an affidavit of probable cause. He allegedly took the barrel assembly to show Kovalcik when it discharged.
Blough is being held in the Somerset County Jail without bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 31.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tomlin: Steelers were prepared for Bryant suspension as far back as draft
- Pirates make 6 September call-ups
- Woman commits suicide in North Braddock police holding cell
- Casey, Coons become 32nd, 33rd senators to back nuclear deal with Iran
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison believes Goodell will prevail in Brady ruling
- TE Breneman not listed on Penn State’s depth chart
- PennDOT revises Parkway West closure schedule
- Washington County man killed in tractor accident
- Bryant suspension opens doors for other Steelers’ receivers
- God is touchy topic in ICU, Pitt study finds