Blind Somerset man burned in apartment fire able to warn neighbors
A blind Somerset man who was burned in an apartment fire on Monday managed to escape, but not before alerting neighbors to flee the building.
Richard Baldridge was burned when a fire broke out at 604 N. Center Ave. just before 8 p.m., Somerset fire Chief Steve Miller said.
Baldridge was treated at Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center in Johnstown and released, Miller said.
The fire started in Baldridge's apartment, Miller said.
Baldridge “managed to get out, then went banging on doors” to alert his neighbors of the danger, Miller said.
Firefighters who were first on the scene “did a good job knocking down the blaze with less than 500 gallons of water” until other firefighters arrived, Miller said.
“The building sustained heavy damage,” Miller said. “Flames were coming out of the windows when firefighters arrived.”
Four of the five apartments were occupied at the time of the fire, Miller said.
State police at Somerset said the fire was ruled accidental.
Additional details were not immediately available Tuesday night.
Damage to the building, which is owned by John Coleman, was estimated at $70,000, officials said.
Chuck Brittain is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6675 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Somerset County priest Maurizio seeks to bar evidence that grand jury didn’t hear or rejected
- Boyce Park, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley ski resorts open today
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County