Road construction blankets northern Washington County
Bursts of orange have popped up in Peters, but it's not fall foliage. The color comes from construction cones ringing an abundance of transportation projects.
The most significant is an $872,000 widening of McMurray Road near Peters Township High School. Crews will be installing a traffic signal and turn lanes on Route 19 near Donaldson's Crossroads.
The McMurray project includes construction of right- and left-turn lanes at the intersection of South Center Church Road and a left-turn lane at the intersection of North Center Church Road.
Workers will add a traffic signal to the South Center Church Road intersection. Single lane closures are occurring from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Work is expected to finish by Oct. 26.
The project has been “fairly smooth,” said Michael Silvestri, Peters manager. “I've not had a lot of complaints from property owners” near the project.
Because the project is near the high school, crews don't start work until after buses finish their runs, which helps alleviate traffic congestion in the area, Silvestri said.
Farther south on Route 19, crews are working at night on a northbound turn lane and a new traffic signal for the $20 million, 40,000-square-foot outpatient center for St. Clair Hospital, which is under construction. The building is scheduled to open in the spring.
All work on the left turn lane is occurring between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Monday to Friday to minimize any traffic issues, according to hospital spokesman Bob Crytzer. The project should be complete by the end of October. Poles and traffic signals will be erected by early January.
Once winter passes, more projects are coming down the pike.
The $4.9 million reconstruction of the intersection of Route 19 and Valley Brook Road is set to begin in the spring. Work will include realignment of the intersection, two bridges and two retaining walls. The project will help alleviate congestion and improve safety.
Other projects taking place around northern Washington County include:
• Maintenance on Interstate 79 between Houston and Canonsburg northbound. Crews are working between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday night through Friday mornings. The project will be completed by November. The southbound side will be done next year.
• A project to upgrade the Meadowlands Interchange at I-79. Crews are working on the approaches for the new structure on I-79, a retaining wall along the future southbound off ramp and connector ramps. Manifold Road is closed. Pike Street and Locust Avenue and the southbound on and northbound off ramps are open.
Rachel Weaver is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-320-7948 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allenport home of killer riddled by bullets
- Daughter: Allenport woman shot to death by estranged husband feared him
- Shots fired into Allenport home