Claysville man pleads guilty to murder of 80-year-old widow
Published: Friday, March 1, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, March 1, 2013
A Washington County man will serve the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole after pleading guilty to murdering an 80-year-old widow in her home in January 2012.
Frank Russell Jones, 24, of Claysville, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and was immediately given a life sentence by Washington Judge Katherine Emery.
“Frank Jones was brought to justice today due to the hard work and dedication of the South Strabane Township police officers, Pennsylvania State Police, First Assistant District Attorney Michael Lucas and Deputy Assistant District Attorney Chad Schneider,” said District Attorney Eugene Vittone.
Opal Bedillion, who lived alone in a secluded home in East Finley Township, was found murdered on Jan. 7, 2012.
During a traffic stop that night, Jones was in possession of Bedillion's belongings, including a jewelry box. After he was questioned by state police, Jones admitted he killed Bedillion to get money to buy drugs.
Coroner Tim Warco reported that Bedillion died from multiple knife wounds.
Vittone initially had sought the death penalty for Jones, but he later accepted a chance to plead guilty and serve life in prison without the possibility of parole.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Springdale wants retiring police chief’s help with transition
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Former Springdale police officer charged with drug possession, stealing badge
- Soldier killed on London street; terrorist suspect filmed with cleaver, knife
- North Huntingdon officials hope to spur more development
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.