Newsmaker: Dr. Spyros Marinis
Noteworthy: Marinis was board-certified in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. The new certification was created this year to recognize expertise in a new niche in OB/GYN and urology care focused on women's complex pelvic conditions, lower urinary tract disorders and pelvic floor dysfunction. It's the first subspecialty area to be accredited by the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology and the American Board of Urology. Marinis earned the certification after passing a four-hour exam.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: wife Myrsini, infant daughter Myrto.
Occupation: A native of Athens, Greece, Marinis, a gynecologist and obstetrician, started working this year at Canonsburg Allegheny General, part of the Allegheny Health Network. He previously worked in New York, South Carolina and Texas.
Education: Medical degree from the National University of Athens School of Medicine.
Quote: “This new certification is important. It ensures that women with these sort of issues will be taken care of with the highest level of specialty.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- PSU Fayette men’s basketball team loses to Lock Haven
- High school notebook: TJ, Clairton head into enemy territory
- Norway mulls using medical heroin to prevent deadly overdoses
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Fatal HOV lane crash in Ross under investigation
- Soutmoreland girls basketball team primary goal: playoffs
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Penguins centermen enjoying better faceoff success rate
- Israel suspends contact with some EU groups over labels on exports
- Iran gives investors glimpse of $30 billion in oil deals to come