Truck driver gets 2 1/2 to 5 years in fatal 2012 crash in Washington County
A California truck driver has been sentenced to 2 1⁄2 to 5 years in prison in a 2012 crash on a Washington County interstate that killed a Maryland woman and her daughter.
Yevgeniy Bugreyev, 45, of West Sacramento apologized in court after pleading guilty Thursday to two counts of vehicular homicide in the November 2012 crash.
Police said Bugreyev was hauling a load of bagged rock salt to Denver when his tractor-trailer crossed the grass median of I-70 in South Strabane Township, traveled 127 feet and struck another car and killed Kaitlin Babka, 21, and Karen Babka, 57, of Hughesville, Md.
Authorities said the driver told police he may have fallen asleep, but defense attorney Josh Camson said his client “passed out” due to blood pressure problems.
“I was almost in a coma,” Bugreyev said. “I didn't have to fall asleep.”
David Babka, whose wife and daughter were killed, sobbed through most of the hearing. His brother, Joseph, said the impact went beyond the victims.
“You took three lives,” Joseph Babka said in court. “You took my brother's life. He walks around like a zombie. You killed him.”
Bugreyev, who has been behind bars since the crash, will be credited for time served and will spend the remainder of his term at a state prison.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wainwright, Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Lambo no longer in limbo with Pirates
- Four issues that the Steelers need to take care of in September
- Pair share love of dance with youths in Fayette, Westmoreland
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Slovenian Club in Claridge is marking 100th anniversary
- Google’s corporate products division changes name
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Penn State football team’s future won’t include ‘Distraction’ trips
- Alle-Kiski Valley high school roundup: No. 2 Riverview wins in opener
- Netflix offers new way to share recommendations