Greensburg Central Catholic to hold auction gala, honor graduate
Greensburg Central Catholic will hold its 16th annual auction gala from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. on March 31 at the school on Armory Drive in Carbon.
The "Making a Bid for Our Future" event will honor Robert S. Butler as the 2012 Distinguished Centurion.
The award is given to an alumnus for service to the church and community.
Butler, a member of the Class of 1965, went on to earn a degree in business administration/management from Robert Morris University. Now retired, he is the former owner of Irwin Plaza Beer Distributor.
Butler has served on the parish councils and finance councils of both St. Paul Parish in Carbon and Immaculate Conception Parish in Irwin. He is an extraordinary minister and a volunteer at Immaculate Conception's "Burger Bashes."
Butler has maintained ties to Greensburg Central as the longtime clock operator for football and basketball games. He also volunteers on the Project Central Campaign steering committee.
He has served as a volunteer and coach for the Special Olympics of Westmoreland County for more than 30 years.
Gala tickets are $30 in advance and $35 at the door.
Proceeds benefit tuition assistance and financial aid programs for Greensburg Central Catholic students.
For additional information or to purchase tickets, call Meghan Kerr at 724-834-0310, ext. or visit www.gcchs.org .
Items to be auctioned off include:
• Sports memorabilia autographed by Hines Ward, Ben Roethlisberger, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Bill Mazeroski and Arnold Palmer.
• Vacation packages to Hilton Head, S.C., and Deep Creek, Md.
• Tickets to Walt Disney World in Florida and Busch Gardens in Tampa.
• Hot air balloon rides
• Game day tickets for the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, and Pennsylvania Minor League Baseball teams
• Scholarships to colleges/universities including Seton Hill, St. Vincent, St. Francis, Carlow, University of Dayton, Wheeling Jesuit, Mt. Aloysius and Point Park.
• Golf packages.
• Vera Bradley, Brighton and Pampered Chef items.