Mt. Pleasant Township woman wins vacation home from HGTV
For about two weeks, Vicki Naggy had to keep a huge secret.
The Mt. Pleasant Township hair stylist went to work every day at Fantastic Sams in Latrobe practically bursting with joy.
"To not be able to tell my girls I work with -- it was awful," she said, laughing.
Finally on Saturday, the whole country knew that Naggy had won a dream vacation home in Utah courtesy of Home & Garden Television. A special broadcast on the network captured Naggy being surprised at her home this month by HGTV's Monica Pederson.
Naggy said she was told she was a finalist but was genuinely shocked to learn her name was selected from 81 million entries as the winner of the HGTV Dream Home Giveaway 2012. The Saturday special broadcast was shown at East Huntingdon restaurant Aumer's with the big winner present.
Naggy said she cried all over again while everyone at the restaurant cheered.
"It was real this time because I could share it," she said.
She'll be sure to share with family the 4,000-square foot, custom-built home in Midway, Utah, nestled along the Provo River. Naggy, 50, said she plans to vacation there with husband Bill, 55, a retired laborer, and their children -- Adesa Makarsky, 30, of Unity and Amber Errett, 28, of Mt. Pleasant Township -- and grandchildren. They are undecided as to whether a move west might be in the future.
Bill Naggy was not available on Sunday, but his wife said that he caught on to the HGTV notification and learned that Vicki was the sole finalist. But he kept that information to himself.
"He was on to it, I was not," she said.
The furnished home away from home has three bedrooms, four and a half bathrooms, a hot tub, scenic views and an outdoor living room and fireplace.
It will be the first time the Naggys visit Utah. The couple is avid HGTV viewers and visitors of the website, which is where details of the contest were posted. Soon after finding out about the opportunity, Vicki Naggy's daily routine included entering the contest.
"I'm sure it'll be a getaway place and family place," she said. "We're pretty excited."
In addition to the home, Naggy won a 2012 GMC Terrain and $500,000. She should receive the house keys in April.
Naggy said she is "truly blessed."
"The good Lord took care of me," she said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Project to tear down former Jeannette District Memorial Hospital on schedule, Excela says
- Norwin band director is finding lots of success in return to his alma mater
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director
- United Way surplus funds benefit 9 nonprofits in Westmoreland County
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Penn Township man who shot friend gets probation
- Youngwood fire department reaches out to homeless family
- Mt. Pleasant man charged with unlawful restraint
- Hempfield leaders kill zoning request for townhomes
- Arbitration decides Westmoreland court workers’ pact