Scottdale Volunteer Fire Department to rev up first car show
The Scottdale Volunteer Fire Department will hold its first annual classic car, truck and bike show Sunday at the Scottdale Fireman's Club, located off Route 819.
Ken Stankiewicz said the department's financial secretary, John Sutor, approached him last fall about putting together an event.
"Knowing that I attend cruises, he asked if the department would be able to put one together," Stankiewicz said.
He suggested the department put together a car cruise committee. In June, the committee held another fundraiser — its first burger-bash cruise.
"There were two other cruises in the area that day, and we still had 100 cars that came," Stankiewicz said. "We considered that a success, so we decided to have our first car show."
The committee includes Sutor, Stankiewicz, Mike Burke, Jim Miller, Barry Grabiak, Al Argiro, Mike Sterrett, Jeff Hough, Garrett Hough, Butch Frund, Bob Skowronek and Harry Firmstone.
The car show is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., rain or shine, with opening ceremonies scheduled for 11 a.m. Registration will run from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The registration fee is $7 paid on the day of the event. Dash plaques will be given to the first 100 registered.
Multiple trophies will be awarded in various classes, and the top awards will be the Best of Show trophy and the Firefighter Choice Award trophy.
The day will include cash awards, a 50/50 drawing, door prizes and a live disc jockey, Jeff Alan, from WLSW-FM 104. Food and beverages will also be available.
Grabiak is hoping the event will be successful enough to be held annually. And it looks like it's well on its way with nearly 40 or 50 cars coming with the Corvette Club through Firmstone.
"Car shows are really growing, and it's fun for the community to come to and see their friends and visit," he said. "It's not just about antiques anymore. There are a lot of '60s, '70s and '80s in shows anymore."
"We tell people if they're proud of their car, then bring it," Stankiewicz said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hempfield train crash search called off; no evidence found
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Numerous Westmoreland communities to observe Memorial Day
- Online donors help Hempfield teen whose wallet was stolen
- ‘Dope sick’ man in custody in Mt. Pleasant stick-up
- Travel restrictions to be lifted on Route 30 in Hempfield
- 2 from Westmoreland County charged in child porn investigation
- Youngwood veteran officially joins the Class of 1945
- Ex-Derry Township man’s troubles mount
- Huge compressors to leave Jeannette in late-night parade on way to Texas
- Arnold man could get resisting arrest charge dismissed