Jeannette arson suspects' mother defends sons
The mother of two Jeannette arson suspects said her sons voluntarily submitted to polygraph tests and gave federal agents their fingerprints because they were not involved in a series of fires that have plagued the city since 2008.
Michele Horne said she and her son, John R. Horne, 21, were together on Dec. 22, 2011 when they saw the start of one of four fires he is accused of setting. She said her son called 911 to report the blaze, then they watched the fire with onlookers, reporters and photographers.
“He didn't have anything to do with that,” she said.
According to police affidavits, Horne admitted his involvement in the fires and implicated his brother and another suspect, Roger Adair, 26.
A preliminary hearing for Horne was continued Thursday by District Judge Joseph DeMarchis. Horne now faces an Oct. 12 hearing with four of the five other suspects.
Horne is charged with arson, conspiracy, risking a catastrophe and criminal trespass, according to the charges.
Michele Horne's other son, Jeffrey Tierney, 23, is charged, along with Christopher Jones, 22, and Richard Adair, 27. A 17-year-old juvenile faces a hearing in juvenile court.
She said her sons were interrogated “four or five times” by ATF agents. She said agents would not tell her sons the results of the polygraph tests, which are used as an investigative tool and are not admissible as evidence during a trial.
The ATF joined Jeannette police in their investigation in February, and the fires stopped in March, police said.
Horne said her sons both work at DeNunzio's restaurant in Jeannette. She is trying to obtain their work schedules from 2008 to the present “that will prove their innocence.
“That man they have in there is innocent,” she said, referring to Horne. “They (ATF) claim to have a witness. They claim to have fingerprints. They don't got diddly.”
Several of Horne's friends and family members went to the district judge's office Thursday to support him. A cousin, Robert Pasparage, said he found out only recently that he and Horne are related, though they have been friends for 14 years.
“I don't think Johnny done any of this,” he said.
Horne is charged with starting fires in 2009 on Chambers Avenue, in the 2011 blaze on rear Division Street and two earlier this year on Division and Chestnut streets, according to the criminal complaint. The six suspects are charged with setting only nine of 20 fires. ATF agents said they believe the defendants were involved in the other blazes as well but do not have enough evidence to charge them.
Richard Gazarik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-830-6292 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Hempfield man receives long-overdue Bronze Star for World War II service
- Charges advance for men accused in police scuffle at Fort Ligonier Days
- Arnold man’s molestation conviction upheld
- Longtime Greensburg District Judge Albert will seek fifth term
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- Suspect in West Newton burglary sought; alleged accomplice arrested
- Braddock man held for trial in Jeannette assault, robbery
- Woman pays $178 fine for Westmoreland courthouse conduct
- 3 injured in 2-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- Rostraver Democrat aims for 1 of 3 open spots on Westmoreland County bench
- Rustic Ridge Mine permit request criticized