Salem Township man pleads guilty to indecent assault
A Salem Township man pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges that he had improper sexual contact with a girl.
Police said between June 2008 and last March, John Hilty, 52, repeatedly touched and engaged in sexual activity with his accuser, who was just 8 years old when the assaults started. She is now 12 years old.
When asked by Westmoreland County Judge Blahovec why he pleaded guilty, Hilty said, “Because I did it.”
Hilty pleaded guilty to one felony charge of aggravated indecent assault. Westmoreland County Assistant District Attorney Rebecca Calisti said more serious rape and assault charges will be dismissed in an effort to spare the victim from having to testify at a trial.
The plea deal calls for Hilty to be sentenced to serve five to 10 years in prison. Blahovec will formally sentence Hilty in about three months after a sex offender evaluation is completed to determine if he is to be classified as a sexually violent predator.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland Veterans’ Monument unveiled, rededicated in Greensburg
- Theft thwarted by employee at North Huntingdon Wal-Mart
- Foes of South Huntingdon gas-fired plant fight approval
- Man taken to hospital after New Alexandria house burns
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- A family’s flag flies again in Mt. Pleasant
- Hempfield train crash search called off; no evidence found
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Online donors help Hempfield teen whose wallet was stolen
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- Huge compressors to leave Jeannette in late-night parade on way to Texas