Salem Township man pleads guilty to indecent assault
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, October 10, 2012
A Salem Township man pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges that he had improper sexual contact with a girl.
Police said between June 2008 and last March, John Hilty, 52, repeatedly touched and engaged in sexual activity with his accuser, who was just 8 years old when the assaults started. She is now 12 years old.
When asked by Westmoreland County Judge Blahovec why he pleaded guilty, Hilty said, “Because I did it.”
Hilty pleaded guilty to one felony charge of aggravated indecent assault. Westmoreland County Assistant District Attorney Rebecca Calisti said more serious rape and assault charges will be dismissed in an effort to spare the victim from having to testify at a trial.
The plea deal calls for Hilty to be sentenced to serve five to 10 years in prison. Blahovec will formally sentence Hilty in about three months after a sex offender evaluation is completed to determine if he is to be classified as a sexually violent predator.There are currently no comments for this story.
- Plan for Greensburg loft apartments receives approval
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
- Latrobe officials OK $60K project aimed at allowing creek to flow freely
- Former president of Derry football boosters charged with stealing $27,000
- Greater Latrobe board to consider tax hike
- Franklin Regional library aide quits in wake of theft charges
- Police: Mt. Pleasant beating victim, son forged prescriptions
- Mt. Pleasant district has superintendent candidate
- Westmoreland municipal authority signs $100K deal with IUP for water quality inspections
- Century-old Ruffsdale distillery warehouse to be sold piece by piece
- Delmont tackles smell, sewage debt problems from faulty pumps