No tax increase anticipated in Ligonier
A preliminary budget with no tax increase was presented to Ligonier Borough Council members Thursday night.
Council raised taxes 1 mill last year to 23.5 mills. One mill brings in about $17,000 to the borough.
Council members took no action on the proposed budget Thursday night, but will vote on it at next month's council meeting, set for 7 p.m. Dec. 13.
Although the $1.1 million budget is very similar to last year's, the borough was able to find a 34 percent savings by switching borough employees' health insurance from Highmark to UPMC, said finance committee chairman Bob Bell.
An additional 4 percent was saved by joining the Central Westmoreland Councils of Government. That group brings municipalities together to jockey for bulk discounts in supplies, equipment and insurance coverage.
Council members next month will discuss an increase in parking fines in hopes of adding $16,200 in revenue for the borough.
Bell said he didn't know the extent of the increase.
In years past, the borough has generated between $42,000 and $51,000 in revenue from paid parking fines. Currently, motorists are charged $5 for an expired meter and more for other violations.
In addition, an extra $18,000 was budgeted for Town Hall roof repairs.
The budget is available for public inspection in Town Hall for the next month.
Jewels Phraner is a reporter for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-850-1218 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Pleasant Scout creates drop box for flag disposal
- Girl, 8, hit by truck in North Irwin, breaks leg
- Westmoreland judge: Contact with advocacy group won’t hamper fairness in drug trial
- Identities oftheft suspects sought by Penn Township and state police
- Grant program targets 7 Westmoreland County towns, including Greensburg, for revitalization
- Latrobe-Unity parks department seeks grant; revamp to cost $112K
- Contract talks to start this week for prison union in Westmoreland
- At 87, Rostraver man still entertaining polka fans
- Donegal Township families fight driller to get clean water
- 1 injured in Mt. Pleasant Twp. accident
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Derry Twp. crash