Police search for 3 people in abandoned Monsour hospital
Jeannette city police called off a search for three people inside the abandoned Monsour Medical Center after an hourlong hunt late Wednesday afternoon.
A motorist on Route 30 saw two males and a female enter the building through the ambulance bay and called police.
Police Cpl. Jeff Stahl said officers began an extensive search on the first floor and worked their way through the tower.
“An officer heard a noise and saw the girl,” Stahl said. “She screamed, ran into a room and slammed the door.”
Firefighters, who were called to the scene after Stahl smelled smoke, stood at exits around the hospital as police searched.
Officials found no sign of a fire.
The search was called off around 5:30 p.m. Stahl believes the three people were still hiding somewhere in the building.
“From my standpoint, it's a waste of city resources,” Stahl said. “We're going to go protect the rest of the city.”
The building was condemned in June 2011, but Stahl said police regularly monitor the former hospital for trespassers.
One night, an officer saw flashlights shining throughout the building and went in to investigate but couldn't find anyone.
On another night, officers went in and heard people moving around on a floor above them but couldn't locate them, Stahl said.
“I wish they'd knock this down,” Stahl said of the dilapidated facility. “We hate going in there. I don't know why anybody would want to go in there.”
Amanda Dolasinski is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6220 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Second phase of Westmoreland Airpark in Unity opens
- Greater Latrobe teachers, school board approve 5-year contract
- Unity rally aims to counter negativity of KKK message in ’97
- Attorney: Indiana County suspect not fit for trial in fatal Derry shooting
- Pittsburgh man pleads guilty in Monessen shooting
- Trick-or-treat in Mt. Pleasant set for Sunday
- House 58th District seat candidates focus on education, taxes
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- DNA evidence in alleged June 2013 rape leads to Latrobe man’s arrest
- Hempfield killer Stahl ordered to pay for slain wife’s funeral
- Mt. Pleasant residents voice support for Zilli as borough police chief